Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Customs officer's questioning

Customs officer's questioning

Two good friends crossed the border into Quebec Canada last week. They were attending a watercraft show and driving a large new pickup truck with trailer. The truck had no NRA, firearms related decals or political markings. The Canadian border patrol officer asked my friends if they "Owned" any firearms.. They are both gun savy 45 year olds who are very aware of Canada's firearms laws. They asked the officer to repeat the question as they did not have any firearms or ammunition in the truck. She said 'do you own any firearms'? They said we don't have any weapons The officer asked again. They again asked her do you mean in the truck? The officer said 'you heard what I asked'. They said what we have at home is our affair. She said OK and put both my buddies in a room and left them there for 20 minutes. She came back in and asked them again do you own any handguns.. they said at home in the states?
    Yes at home in the states. They both finally said yes and then the officer asked what types and how many. After that she asked about shotguns Then rifles..
    They sat in this booth for about 1/2 hour while this Female officer talked on the telephone to a supervisor.
    They thought the truck would be searched by a team, but she simply said
    OK you can go now. They said they thought about just refusing and making a stink but they had drove all the way from Virginia to the Canadian border and wanted to attend their function in Quebec.
    What do you think about this? Did my 45 year old White male pickup truck driving friends fit a profile.
    Was she trying to cross check my friends with some sort of Ottawa no/go list
    Or could this be something from Washington.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

we went into canada a few years ago and were asked the same question. both my wife and i said "yes". they stamped out pass ports and told us to have a nice day.

we did have to park the car and go inside to show out pass ports. i guess when you have texas plates they just assume you own guns.

ron
    Last edited by Planning; 07-17-2011 at 08:03 AM.
    31B

I'm going to Nova Scotia tomorrow. Guess I'll leave my new copy of Shotgun News at Home

When I went to Canada, when I was 18, we were never asked any questions like that. I visited BC, maybe they are just a little more gun friendly. Of course that was 6 almost 7 years ago.
    This will be the best security for maintaining our liberties. A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins.
    - Benjamin Franklin

When you need it and do not have it, you will be singing a different tune.

I go to Canada quite frequently. Never have been asked if I owned firearms.
    Czar of all the Michigans
    In memory of Johnhttp://act.alz.org/goto/Weasel

Strange! Sounds like they were less worried about what they might be hiding and more worried about getting intel on what an American(s) might own. I've never been there and am thinking I would have told them to kiss my Red, White, and Blue Ass and leave. Since they went along with it I might still lodge a complaint or inquiry as to the specifics of the questioning. I don't get questioned but think I would be gracious, since I have nothing to hide, but this case is different.
    I saw a Canadian shop lifting down in south Georgia in pecan country at one of the major outlets. The guy bought a tiny pecan roll but had stuffed a big one in his pocket. Now the typical "nice" stereotyped Canadian doesn't fit for me.
    It always looks darkest.....just before it goes totally black.
    COG# 11M1P

I am a US Customs and Border Protection Officer on the US-Canadian Border. If I were to be asked that question I would say as the OP said - no firearms or weapons in the car. If the officer insists on asking the gun ownership question again I would say "send me in to speak to your supervisor or superintendent. It is not any of their business what is in my house nor is it germaine to my travel to Canada. The big sign going into Canada reads "Declare all Firearms or weapons" meaning in the vehicle...
    Integrity is doing what you say you are going to do...

I just made a few posts on CanadianGunNuts. They knew I was in the U.S. and right away a couple of Tools started to give me crap. One wanted to start an argument about ballistics with me, that came to an end real fast! I'm done on that site.
    "Too much gun always beats the alternative"....Elmer Keith

Wait a minute... What if... Just supposing... They wanted to know, because if you DIDN'T own any at all, they were going to tell you they dont want hippies crossing their border anymore? You know, it DID take them a long time to live down the stigma of "safehaven for hippies" which, I'm sure they didn't intend to have in the first place...

Really, though... I can't imagine why they would be so nosy. Unless the person doing the questioning was a complete moron and didn't realize that it pertained only to any firearms you were carrying at the time... There ARE people out there, after all, that are that moronic.
    USMC Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

A couple of months ago, I crossed into Yukon Territory from Alaska and then 3 weeks later crossed back from Washington into British Columbia. They only asked if I had any firearms with me. I've heard stories like this one, but it hasn't happened to me. I would find it very offensive to have someone at the border insist that I tell them if I own firearms.