Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Century L1A1 Sporter

Century L1A1 Sporter

Bare with me on this, I have limited info. A buddy at work approached me (this starts a lot of our threads as folks realize who is in the shooting scene) with some pics of a rifle his dad wants to sell. The down side, from a resale point only, is it is marked Century L1A1 Sporter. That is all of any markings I can see on the pics he had. It does have wood all over but the forearm is Israeli. The grip appears to be L1A1 with the popsicle, etc. Extended L1A1 selector. No bipod, appears to be a flash hider like mine (Belgian). Couldn't see the cocking handle to tell if it folds but it does have a nice Tri-Lux scope on it and possibly the correct dustcover/rings combo. He asks $1000. I'm not in the market for one.....now..............but does anyone have opinions on it? I would almost strip it, depending on the barrel type and quality and sale for parts. It runs well, one owner who has had it for 20 years. Input please. Hell, I almost offered him a low ball for the scope and mount myself.
    Last edited by drine; 08-02-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    It always looks darkest.....just before it goes totally black.
    COG# 11M1P

get some better information then make a parts list ( include the current price.)

then add up the parts cost.

that will get you close to the fair market value.

ron

He is going to bring me the rifle today to go over, clean, and check for him. I think even though it is Century take the scope off and sale seperate and let the rifle go for 750ish. I think the mount is correct/original and not US aftermarket. It has that slopped nose on it.
    COG# 11M1P

Some quick questions for you guys: I got this rifle home to check it over. After drooling over the sight, I started taking it apart. First thing is the CENTURY receiver say made in CANADA. Nice defined widows peak, no burrs, I like it. The internals all have a series of numbers on them: English or Canadian? They seem very clean, no undue wear. The wood stock has the trapdoor. The forearm is Israeli as I knew. Flash hider seems aftermarket since it has a set screw on it?????
    Here is where I need help: The gas piston won't come out. There was severe rust all under the handguards and the barrel and the ugly green stuff around gas plug when I removed it. The gas regulator turns nice and free, it does have a snap ring type deal behind it. There should be nothing to keep that piston from coming out after I've removed the gas plug right? That is where I'm at. They replaced the tritium vial with one of those plug type light sources that uses a little screw to, I assume, push the battery or contact to make it work. It does work though! Back to gas piston, I've got it soaking now. Any tricks or something I missed that is INCH specific versus metric?
    PICS coming in a sec.
    Last edited by drine; 08-02-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    COG# 11M1P

Quote Originally Posted by drine View Post
    Some quick questions for you guys: I got this rifle home to check it over. After drooling over the sight, I started taking it apart. First thing is the CENTURY receiver say made in CANADA. Nice defined widows peak, no burrs, I like it. The internals all have a series of numbers on them: English or Canadian? They seem very clean, no undue wear. The wood stock has the trapdoor. The forearm is Israeli as I knew. Flash hider seems aftermarket since it has a set screw on it?????
    Here is where I need help: The gas piston won't come out. There was severe rust all under the handguards and the barrel and the ugly green stuff around gas plug when I removed it. The gas regulator turns nice and free, it does have a snap ring type deal behind it. There should be nothing to keep that piston from coming out after I've removed the gas plug right? That is where I'm at. They replaced the tritium vial with one of those plug type light sources that uses a little screw to, I assume, push the battery or contact to make it work. It does work though! Back to gas piston, I've got it soaking now. Any tricks or something I missed that is INCH specific versus metric?
    how about some good pictures. i can tell better with some pictures.

it sounds like an early ban era rifle with the british inch parts.

ron
    Last edited by Planning; 08-02-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Here's the pics as promised.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by drine; 08-02-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    COG# 11M1P

i would soak it for awhile then try lightly taping on the gas piston from the receiver end. i think the canadian receivers are actually argentine.
    clark COG#148 ,ar15,ak,sks,beretta neos, windicator,girsan 1911,others.

hey drine, a good while back i had a post about a L1A1 that i had bought. it looked nothing like that one. it was in a plastic stock and was just a plain jane. i mainly bought the rifle for the 1k rounds of port that went with it. the rifle performed well and never gave me any problems. i sold it shortly later to fund a dsa. i don't know if this is any help or not but it is proof they can build one right. and just wondering, have you looked at the flash hidder. looks like something some one might put on an unthreaded barrel.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Is the barrel muzzle threaded, that flash hider looks like its just held on with a screw. That said, the plain jane canadian receivers are supposedly good, I have a century built rifle on one another stripped one. I wonder if that was a Century build that has been customized with the parts. The receiver I believe is a metric(as the mag there seems to confirm also), thus the cocking lever I believe is notched to work with the metric receiver, the lower is inch from enfield, I imagine the thing was built as a inch rifle, without the flash hider, with that and the izzy handguards added. Maybe even a thumbhole that was converted, but I believe those were marked C1A1 centuries.

IMHO on value unless some one switched out alot of parts, I am thinking its a L1A1 century sporter thats had the stocks and grip changed out( I doubt its had the required US made parts either, but unless you are sure of its import date that is kinda of moot, but to keep it I would build it as a 922r compliant rifle), and a SUIT scope added. Thus value it as such. I gave less than four hundred for my first one but that was many many years ago, but there is value in a correct non century made receiver for sure. Not sure what a inch parts kit with barrel is going for though. Remember inch pattern us made parts are harder to find now for sure. Century was the biggest maker of them, for their own projects. I believe FAC had a ton of them at bankrupacy and they actually got sold back to Century if I remember correctly.
    Still building bigger and better bombs for your brighter tommrows(aw heck and takeing them apart and demilling them for that tommrow too)

Flash hider seems aftermarket since it has a set screw on it?????
    I am not familiar with with FALs but I think the muzzle break is an aftermarket one made by Fabian Bros. The maker name should be engraved on the same side as the small vent holes (the top). I used to have one that was threaded for HKs. They are no longer made and they are very desirable. They are supposed to be really good muzzle breaks. The ones threaded for Hks cost about $125 to $150 when you can find them.

Is the barrel muzzle threaded, that flash hider looks like its just held on with a screw.
    The Fabian Bros. muzzle breaks are threaded but they have to be indexed correctly so there is also a set screw to ensure that it is tight when it is in the proper position.

Here is a photo of my MSG90 clone with a Fabian Bros. muzzle break:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The Great 308; 08-02-2011 at 06:34 PM.