Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M-16 retro (601)

Quote Originally Posted by HKILLER View Post
    its crazy that a few years ago nobody would touch a retro part with a 10 foot stick(including me), now they are the $hitz!
    I think there are several things going on. Lots of guys my age (60ish) grew up with them. As we get older, we are too old for tacticool, but like the platform. Another is that the platform is over 50 years old! It is "antique" now. People like vintage and retro items. Another factory is the AR market itself. There is so much cr@pola, gizmos, goo-gahs, thingamajigs, and nonsense available to bolt on, it boggles the mind. The more people add, the heavier they make it, the more some of us appreciate the retro platform as the simple, light, handy, and powerful platform that ArmaLite designed. Seriously, a $200 muzzle brake for an AR15?????? That is an answer to a question that didn't need to be asked. I built an M4gery, hung all the cool stuff on it (SOPMOD stock with extra batteries, Aimpoint, rails, BUIS, light, laser, foregrip, , and HATED it! If I remember right, it was almost 10 pounds without a magazine of ammo. Compare that to my GAU-5/P at less than 6 lbs., or 601 at 6.5 pounds. Both can nail a clay pigeon at 100-150 yards with iron sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Planning View Post
    sorry, when i went to post the pictures i noticed i forgot to install the bolt carrier and the charging handle. i had to retake the pictures. sorry for the confusion.
    ron
    It's ok. I am easily confused. Just ask my wife!

Quote Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
    I think there are several things going on. Lots of guys my age (60ish) grew up with them. As we get older, we are too old for tacticool, but like the platform. Another is that the platform is over 50 years old! It is "antique" now. People like vintage and retro items. Another factory is the AR market itself. There is so much cr@pola, gizmos, goo-gahs, thingamajigs, and nonsense available to bolt on, it boggles the mind. The more people add, the heavier they make it, the more some of us appreciate the retro platform as the simple, light, handy, and powerful platform that ArmaLite designed.
    Those are excellent points.

If a specific rifle is 50 years old, would that particular rifle be C&R eligible?
    The proud great x5 grandson of an American Revolution veteran!

[

If a specific rifle is 50 years old, would that particular rifle be C&R eligible?[/QUOTE]
    there is a couple full auto c&r eligible armalites around but they cost like $16000!
    IS THERE A SECTION FOR MY DEATH STAR ON MILITARYFIREARM.COM?

Red face

There are several guys on the AR15.com retro board that have NFA 601 full autos... If I was a zillionare, I would have one of those (a 601) first, an STG44 second, an MP38 or 40 3rd, an M2 Carbine 4th, and a 1928 Thompson 5th. Of course I am on LEO disability retirement and unemployment at the moment, so little chance of that happening.

[

If a specific rifle is 50 years old, would that particular rifle be C&R eligible?
    there is a couple full auto c&r eligible armalites around but they cost like $16000![/QUOTE]

I think $16K is a "small" price to pay for something like that.

[

there is a couple full auto c&r eligible armalites around but they cost like $16000![/QUOTE]

I think $16K is a "small" price to pay for something like that.

Here are the latest upgrades to make it a more "correct" Model 601: Heatnbeat dimpled selector and takedown pin, and a correct type horizontal line 601 mag button cut with Heatnbeat's cutter. Now the triangle charging handle and 601 full round carrier are more at home! This is probably as far as I am going. Maybe an Edgewater if I can find one for $75 (hahahahaha!)

Quote Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
    Here are the latest upgrades to make it a more "correct" Model 601: Heatnbeat dimpled selector and takedown pin, and a correct type horizontal line 601 mag button cut with Heatnbeat's cutter. Now the triangle charging handle and 601 full round carrier are more at home! This is probably as far as I am going. Maybe an Edgewater if I can find one for $75 (hahahahaha!)

I think it looks great.

a1 clone getting very close for me i also found a 600 series but stock at the local gun show i scored this a1 upper and the stock for my airforce m16 clone im just wondering if i should spend the extra $$ on some nodaks or just paint the pallmetto lowers????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by chili View Post
    I think it looks great.
    what is that roll pin for behind the take down pin for?