Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New CETME won't cycle bolt / eject rounds / extract rounds & other issues

Senior Veteran

New CETME won't cycle bolt / eject rounds / extract rounds & other issues

Ok, Just took my brand new, "limited edition" cetme to the range. As discussed in previous threads, the HK mags weren't fitting very well, so I was using the cetme 5 round mags and the 20 rounds cetme steel mag.

Issue #1
    ------------
    Using the 5 round magazine, it's not feeding a round from the magazine.
    Ok, i try another magazine. This time it works - BOOM!

Issue #2
    However, this time the shell casing is not ejected at all. The bolt hasn't slid back whatsoever. I pull the charging handle back all the way and lock it; it ejects the round cleanly (no shell casing separation). Hmmmm.. I do the slap dance, it chambers a round, and I fire again - BOOM. Then, same thing. No shell casing ejection, no movement on the bolt at all.

One of the range officers had an HK-91 and came over to take a look. We took the whole thing apart, he oiled the bolt & bolt carrier, i cleaned out the flutes with some cloth patches until it came out nearly clean, we reassembled and tried again.

(Note: He mentioned, and I concur, that the rear pin that connects the stock to the receiver was pretty tough to get out - we had to use a hammer and tap it firmly.)

So, gun is reassembled, I fire, BOOM - no bolt cycling.

Issue #3
    ----------
    So I tried one of the 5 round mags again, and after slapping the bolt carrier it would feed the round about halfway and promptly jam.

Thoughts
    ----------

So, could this be related to my magazine fitting issue: http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...into-the-cetme

Or is this another problem entirely (SHEESH!)

The range guy seemed to think the problem was inadequate flutes. They seem clean to me, and I cleaned them like crazy with the cloth squares. Here is a picture of one of the shell casings - you can see the flute marks. He seemed to think they were too sharply/deep.

2011-09-20 15.51.39.jpg

Send it back!

The use of a cloth to clean the flues does not work. You need to use a bore brush. 45 caliber works, although it does appear that the flutes are making marks on the case it may not be enough to start extraction. I think the mags are another issue.
    "Without gunpowder there can be no freedom!"
    -German-American proverb during the War of Independence

COG# 1961

Yes, you have several issues going on at once, the mag issue is minor for the moment. Flute issues are never minor, hence my previous post. As Otis61 stated, cloth patches won't get into the flutes, it's going to take a stiff wire brush. Everyone has their favorites and there are threads every couple of months on them. I use an M-16 chamber brush on mine.

Once you get the flutes sparkling clean test it again. If the problem doesn't go away try lightly oiling the cases before loading them into the mag. If the problem persists, try a few rounds of steel cased ammo which are not likely to swedge into the flutes like brass does.

There are more things involved than just the flutes though. Free movement of the rollers on the LP is extremely important. Sometimes the tiny 1/16" pin that holds the roller support in place works it's way out too. The fact that it ejects easily should eliminate bolt problems, but you never know.

I figure that if the gun is new and under warranty, I'd send it back and start documenting the issues with Century, especially if it turns out to be a chamber issue.

Senior Veteran
    Here is the best pic I could muster of the flutes. its slightly out of focusIMG_3023.jpg

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis61 View Post
    The use of a cloth to clean the flues does not work. You need to use a bore brush. 45 caliber works, although it does appear that the flutes are making marks on the case it may not be enough to start extraction. I think the mags are another issue.
    I forgot to add this - I did use the copper bore brush I have for my 9mm (attached it to a super long rod) and really tried to work it all the way around the chamber.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    Yes, you have several issues going on at once, the mag issue is minor for the moment. Flute issues are never minor, hence my previous post. As Otis61 stated, cloth patches won't get into the flutes, it's going to take a stiff wire brush. Everyone has their favorites and there are threads every couple of months on them. I use an M-16 chamber brush on mine.

Once you get the flutes sparkling clean test it again. If the problem doesn't go away try lightly oiling the cases before loading them into the mag. If the problem persists, try a few rounds of steel cased ammo which are not likely to swedge into the flutes like brass does.

There are more things involved than just the flutes though. Free movement of the rollers on the LP is extremely important. Sometimes the tiny 1/16" pin that holds the roller support in place works it's way out too. The fact that it ejects easily should eliminate bolt problems, but you never know.

I figure that if the gun is new and under warranty, I'd send it back and start documenting the issues with Century, especially if it turns out to be a chamber issue.
    1) by free movement of the rollers, should they roll around if I apply pressure to them with my finger (after taking the bolt carrier out of the rifle)? They seem "locked" in place and do not rotate.
    2) The gun is "NEW" but it was made in 2004, I bought it from a guy on gunbroker. Not sure if Century will like that. Will call them tomorrow.

Remove the bolt and the LP from the carrier. The rollers should move freely inside the bolt head within the limits of the retainer. Then put the LP inside the bolt head and check that it presses the rollers outwards freely. you should be able to alternate finger pressure against the rollers to push the LP out and pressure against the LP to push the rollers out. Spin each roller to check for visible damage, a year or two ago someone had an issue and found a cracked roller on disassembly. Inspect the angles on the LP and look for uneven or excessive wear.

While you have the gun apart check the recoil guide rod and spring. Visually check that it is straight and the metal ferrule moves freely on the rod under spring pressure. Also check to see if the rod is loose in the backplate.

The photo of your flutes is too out of focus to tell much, but they do look a little shallow at first glance.

Here is a photo of one of the notorius shallow fluted chambers from years ago. The fluting started out good enough in the neck and shoulder then fell off into thin lines on the sides:

The range officer you mentioned before thought the flute were too deep though because the case projected into them. This condition will bear out if steel cases eject sucessfully.

AMMO!? Nato or commercial grade .308?
    COG # 1066

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmvogel View Post
    AMMO!? Nato or commercial grade .308?
    I was using winchester white box "cal 7.62mm 147 GR. BALL" ammo