Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a way to check lengths on new 70 degree locking pieces

Need a way to check lengths on new 70 degree locking pieces

I'm gearing up to make a run of 70 degree locking pieces for people that like to make the little K guns. I have my grinding fixture done, material arrived this morning.

A little background on what I have done in the past. I make a fixture that holds the finish ground locking pieces at the necessary angle and grind the shoulder angle to a specific distance from the top of the fixture, then I flip the LP over and grind the other shoulder angle. This is the last step in the mfg. process.

For quality control purposes I measure the gap in a rifle using a factory LP then switch the LP out for mine. Based on the difference in the gap I can adjust my grind height so that my LP matches the factory LP inside the rifle. Once I determine the height, I mark the fixture for future reference. A few ten-thousandths of an inch on each shoulder can vary the gap length 2-3 thousandths on an LP40. This was shown through all the measuring in the LP type study and is why just changing one LP out for another usually affects gap.

Problem with my quality control check above is that I don't have an HK, much less a C93 to check them in the first time. I actually thought about buying a C93 but frankly I doubt that I'll sell enough of these things to make it a worthwhile investment. I thought about advertising for a "bad" one that needs work just to keep initial cost down.

Any ideas?

I have enough loose parts that I could put together something to check the gap outside of the receiver, I just don't think it would give repeatable results.
    Last edited by holescreek; 10-27-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Two things solved my problem. typing it out, and a good night's sleep. The answer popped into my head just as my eyes were opening this morning. DUH.

Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    Two things solved my problem. typing it out, and a good night's sleep. The answer popped into my head just as my eyes were opening this morning. DUH.
    Think you should just go ahead and buy a C93 anyway....
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bladeworks123 View Post
    Think you should just go ahead and buy a C93 anyway....
    I'm beginning to think Holes could build one from scratch without too much difficulty

Quote Originally Posted by jdowney View Post
    I'm beginning to think Holes could build one from scratch without too much difficulty
    no doubt here.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Here lately I've been thinking about making a cetme pistol in 7.62x39 just to try something new. 8-10"' barrel sound about right?

I have been thinking more about buying a C93 lately. I'm going to keep my ear to the ground for someone that bought a turd that needs a re-press that doesn't want to fix it themselves. With the cost of flats, barrels, and kits it's cheaper to buy a century parts gun than build one from scratch.

Here lately I've been thinking about making a cetme pistol in 7.62x39 just to try something new. 8-10"' barrel sound about right?

I have been thinking more about buying a C93 lately. I'm going to keep my ear to the ground for someone that bought a turd that needs a re-press that doesn't want to fix it themselves. With the cost of flats, barrels, and kits it's cheaper to buy a century parts gun than build one from scratch.
    Let me know if you want a front end to start with. I have a barrel , cocking tube,cocking handle/support and trunnion. I think the barrel is 9-10" but I believe the trunnion is out of spec. If this is something you want to play around with, let me know and we can trade or?

Are you talking about x39 pistol parts or C93 parts?

Are you talking about x39 pistol parts or C93 parts?
    x39 pistol front end.

You know me, it'll (aside from the barrel) be all cetme if I decide to make it. I have a VZ58 barrel I fluted when I was figuring out how to flute. The barrel is too short for a rifle build and too nice to waste. Thanks for offering it up though, right now I'm still in the dreaming stage of that build. I have a few parts and jigs to get done for customers first.