Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screws VS rivets

Screws VS rivets

Has anyone here used the screws kit instead of the rivets to build an AK? if so, how did it turn out and can you post some pics?
    Thanks

I tried one just so I could see what the heck....It works just fine.... probably close to 1k rounds and nothing has moved or come loose. IMHO It takes longer to do one that way, than with rivets.

AK@R.jpgAK G.jpgAK@3.jpg
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

I've done some screws also with excellent results. Go with screws and all of the critics will have to find something else to gripe about.....For best results build your rifle as you wish.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Quote Originally Posted by jbruney View Post
    I've done some screws also with excellent results. Go with screws and all of the critics will have to find something else to gripe about.....For best results build your rifle as you wish.
    If it works - it works. It's a lot of work to prep all the holes, tapping adds a step not needed for rivets and you should chase the treads well. Some threadlock compound would also be advisable. For all the extra work, it's certainly no better than rivets. For your own satisfaction though - precious.

R

Thanks guys, I really would like to build one, but dont have accesss to a press, I'll go with the screws kit, who knows maybe after I get one build under my belt, I might decide to invest in a press and jigs

you can build one with out a press. harbor freight bolt cutter (they are cheap). they cutter will need to be modified ( there are instructions on how to do it on several sites). some small punches (HF), 3 or 4 pound hammer, rivets from tractor supply. a vise would make it easier. some pennies, band aids.
    i have the special tools to build them with, but i have built them with the above tools just to do it.

i don't like the screw builds, but i have seen several that were nice builds and have held up well. if you look at bladeworks build. it may have taken him a lot longer to build it that way than to use rivets, but it is one of the best screw builds i have ever seen.

if you use the screws, use a very good grade of screws. get several taps, they seem to break easy. lots of small cheap drill bits to drill out the old rivets.

what ever you descide, enjoy it and welcome to the never ending process of building guns. it seems to never end.

always be on the look out for parts and parts kits. you can use them for future builds or for trading for parts.
    i support my building hobby buying, selling and trading for parts.

i don't know where you live, but watch and sometimes there are build parties in your area that you can go to and the old timers will be glad to help you out.

ron
    Last edited by Planning; 10-30-2011 at 06:14 AM.

I have never done a screw build because of tradition, but I know if you used grade 8 screws and loctite it would be just fine. Tapping the trunnions would be the only difficult part but with a good tap probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. I say that because the trunnions are pretty hard metal and a cheap tap will probably just break off. I may just screw build my next one and make it look like rivets.

I have done both, including planning's method of modified bolt cutters. They both work equally as well and have never had a problem with either one. I will say that the screw build is a nicer finish as my rivets aren't exactly the prettiest work I've seen (sic). I ended up body/fendering them a little bit to get rid of the uglies. Again, they both work. If i were to do another AK type build, I'd probably go with screws.

Open to anyone here that wants to do a screw build. I have quite a few sets of the screw kits for AK builds I got buying a lot of parts. I rivet all my builds, so PM me if you would like a screw set gratis.
    SS
    Yo COG # 1002

And there it is. One of the best places to find folks willing to help another.
    Joe
    COG#1453