Another nearly complete build awaiting some finishing touches.
I have some welds to finish on this one (the slot for the sling loop won't be used, the spot welds on the front and rear trunnion) but this one gets the fancy Black T coating from Birdsong when it's done.
Regular flavor RPKs don't have the style of the Yugo M72 - the barrel is heavier and a few inches shorter (21.5" vs. 24") and those cooling fins are reminiscent of the stylish Thompson SMG. I decided not to add the bipod lug and there is no provision for an old-fashioned cleaning rod. I'm building a semi-traditional M72 free of "cheese grater" attachment rails that will have all of those traditional features present.
A brief list of components include:
* DEZ adjustable gas block, milled out for the larger M72 barrel
* KNS dual crosshair front sight
* Solar Tactical muzzle brake (hardly needed given the weight)
* Texas Weapon Systems Dog Leg 2 picatinny rail top cover
* Midwest Industries Forearm MI-AK-Y quad rail system, designed for the M70, milled out for the larger barrel diameter of the M72 barrel
* Tromix skeleton stock, ACE Yugo stock trunnion adapter
* Red Star Arms adjustable 2 stage trigger
* Solar Tactical grip strap for compliance (yes, a Cali thing)
* Wolf extra power recoil/action spring
* Power custom hammer spring
Yet to be done:
* Drilling rear sling swivel
* Picking a low profile adjustable rear aperture sight base, so far all of them are too tall
* Attaching the low profile Leupold QD throw rings and fitting an optic
* Fitting the Cadiz Gunworks LRBHO lever and catch
* Attaching the Snipershide left-side selector switch
* Media blasting and sending to Birdsong for Black T coatings inside and out