Thread: House Approves Concealed Firearm Permit Bill

Charlie Don't Surf

House Approves Concealed Firearm Permit Bill

House of Representatives - POLITICS
    House Approves Concealed Firearm Permit Bill
    Published November 16, 2011
    | Associated Press

AP
    Jan. 26, 2011: Rep. Cliff Stearns presides over a hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington. Stearns is chief co-sponsor of the concealed carry bill.
    WASHINGTON – A state permit to carry a concealed firearm would be valid in almost every state in the country under legislation the House passed Wednesday.

Story continued on foxnews.com

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1dy3pnIcQ

I did see on the news it wasn't valid in DC and Illinois.
    In those moments where you're not quite sure if the undead are really dead, dead, don't get all stingy with your bullets.

My first impression was, "good!".

But I heard an interesting perspective. In essence, the Federal government would be setting more precedence regarding their ability to 'override' individual states gun laws. This could be dangerous because a state like Utah or Montana with liberal gun laws could in essence be forced to accept more stringent Federal mandates, down the road.

I dunno.

Oz

Senior Veteran
    Oz, you sir make a very valid point.

It seems everything this administration puts out is to limit the States Rights and supercede it! I cannot wait for the added tax on left handed people wearing plad shirts, shorts and cowboy boots! So, how many firey hoops do we need to train to jump through today oh masta?

I wonder how much the fee for the permit will go up for the governments share now? Drivers license, marriage license, parking permits, CDL, business permits, permits to breath and excreat! Ho hum, whats next besides taking body parts before we are done with them!
    Last edited by rpmfly2; 11-17-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    We have never needed any new laws to govern decent law abiding citizens!

Just to enforce the old laws on the NEW ARRIVALS!

The Bill as it passed the House....

Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

‘(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

‘(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or

‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.

‘(b) A person carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a handgun subject to the same conditions or limitations that apply to residents of the State who have permits issued by the State or are otherwise lawfully allowed to do so by the State.

‘(c) In a State that allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits, a firearm shall be carried according to the same terms authorized by an unrestricted license or permit issued to a resident of the State.

‘(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to preempt any provision of State law with respect to the issuance of licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms.’.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

‘926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.’.

(c) Severability- Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, if any provision of this section, or any amendment made by this section, or the application of such provision or amendment to any person or circumstance is held to be unconstitutional, this section and amendments made by this section and the application of such provision or amendment to other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby.

(d) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall take effect 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.

It would appear from reading that the intent is to only allow for reciprocity between states in the same manner that drivers licenses are recognized from state to state. It does not take away a states right to disallow issuing of permits, nor does it mandate any federal guidelines on conditional issuance. Still has to pass the Senate and be signed by the POTUS. But it should be considered a step in the right direction.
    The law that currently allows for issuance of concealed permits to retired law enforcement officers, which are lawful permits to carry in any State, is a federally mandated and regulated law, with specific requirements that have to be met by permit holders, and are restricted in certain areas. Federal buildings, schools, etc. And the recipients must qualify with the weapon according to their home states law enforcement certification guidelines. This bill is much less restrictive than that law, however, it would not be recognized in States that do not allow for concealed carry. Be interesting to see if it passes the Senate.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by bladeworks123 View Post
    The Bill as it passed the House....

Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

‘(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

‘(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or

‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.

‘(b) A person carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a handgun subject to the same conditions or limitations that apply to residents of the State who have permits issued by the State or are otherwise lawfully allowed to do so by the State.

‘(c) In a State that allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits, a firearm shall be carried according to the same terms authorized by an unrestricted license or permit issued to a resident of the State.

‘(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to preempt any provision of State law with respect to the issuance of licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms.’.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

‘926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.’.

(c) Severability- Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, if any provision of this section, or any amendment made by this section, or the application of such provision or amendment to any person or circumstance is held to be unconstitutional, this section and amendments made by this section and the application of such provision or amendment to other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby.

(d) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall take effect 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.

It would appear from reading that the intent is to only allow for reciprocity between states in the same manner that drivers licenses are recognized from state to state. It does not take away a states right to disallow issuing of permits, nor does it mandate any federal guidelines on conditional issuance. Still has to pass the Senate and be signed by the POTUS. But it should be considered a step in the right direction.
    The law that currently allows for issuance of concealed permits to retired law enforcement officers, which are lawful permits to carry in any State, is a federally mandated and regulated law, with specific requirements that have to be met by permit holders, and are restricted in certain areas. Federal buildings, schools, etc. And the recipients must qualify with the weapon according to their home states law enforcement certification guidelines. This bill is much less restrictive than that law, however, it would not be recognized in States that do not allow for concealed carry. Be interesting to see if it passes the Senate.

+1, that's what I got from the bill too. States would not lose their right to say where it is legal to carry or how people in their state get licenses. They already expect us to know all the laws of the state that we travel to, which is not a big deal to me. A lot states already accept each others licenses. I know Texas has a LONG list of reciprocity states.
    This will be the best security for maintaining our liberties. A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins.
    - Benjamin Franklin

When you need it and do not have it, you will be singing a different tune.

Veteran
    This is not an issue for the Federal government to address, it is a state's rights issue. The individual states should have the right to determine concealed carry reciprocity without interference by the federal government.

I don't like it that states like California or New York refuse to recognize my CWP, but the answer is simple: I won't support those states in any way. I won't travel to those states and I won't buy products from those states. I will actively discourage others from doing the same. I vote with my feet and my pocketbook.

Before I get blamed for being anti-gun, I challenge anyone to find a more hard-core 2A advocate than yours truly. This is not about the 2A in my opinion, it is about more power for the federal government.
    COG# 1988

Second Amendment Purist

I have a CCW license in my state of residence and would love to be able to travel out of state with it BUT...

I have been told that to enable this law the Federal Government would have to set up a national database of gun owners taken from the database of each participating state. That scares the $#!+ out of me. Last I heard my state (Arizona) is not willing to hand over those names. Also, how will this impact states that have Constitutional Carry laws (Alaska, Vermont, Arizona, and now Wyoming). Will they be forced to uphold the national CCW law? Something to think about.

I think its hilarious how on the off chance this bill goes into law, my home state of Illinois will be the ONLY state in the union without a provision for its citizens to carry concealed. It is all due to the mayor and city council of Chicago and thier cronies in Springfield. I know what state will not be recieving anymore tax dollars from me and license plate fees. Texas is more expensive and I will have to get my truck inspected, I will do that out of sheer spite for not allowing law abiding citizens to defend themselves.
    "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
    - from a post-war debriefing of a German General

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine...
    - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mythfit View Post
    I have a CCW license in my state of residence and would love to be able to travel out of state with it BUT...

I have been told that to enable this law the Federal Government would have to set up a national database of gun owners taken from the database of each participating state. That scares the $#!+ out of me. Last I heard my state (Arizona) is not willing to hand over those names. Also, how will this impact states that have Constitutional Carry laws (Alaska, Vermont, Arizona, and now Wyoming). Will they be forced to uphold the national CCW law? Something to think about.
    This Scares the "pucker" outta me as well
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow What a Ride"** ~ HUNTER S. THOMPSON

Assault is a Behavior, not a Gun or Device.