Thread: how can anybody be against a missile defence shield

Veteran

how can anybody be against a missile defence shield

i mean it would save america from a nuclear attack from china,russia,pakistan,india, i mean it might cost alot but its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it...

I am not against a defence shield, but I am against spending alot of money on something that does not work. We have poured alot of money down this hole and I am not sure if we have
    a workable system yet. If more research is needed lets fund it. We are broke and this is big bucks. Lets make sure we do it right. I am more worried about one being smuggled in,
    or a dirty bomb. Most small countries don't have a way of getting their nukes here and actually hitting anything with them. The big guys know what we will do if they launce against
    us. There is some good systems being worked on, let keep our fingers crossed they work!

If they set aside money for it 3/4 of that money would go somewhere else probably into some foreign money pit.

Senior Veteran
    Guys, we already have a lot of it in place. There are two installations (Greely and Vendenburg) that currently currently constitute active defense portion of the midcourse system. As THAAD development and the Navys Aegis SM3 missiles progresses it'll continue to grow. There is also a lot of proven programs in mothballs (i.e. the USAF ASAT program) that can be pulled and fielded pretty darn quick. Where the objction comes in is with people that think we have no credible threats - which is utter Bullshit. Just within the last month the Russian defense chief overtly threatened Nato with a nuclear strike. The nuclear threat is still there it's just not paid any attention since the cold war "ended".
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
    Guys, we already have a lot of it in place. There are two installations (Greely and Vendenburg) that currently currently constitute active defense portion of the midcourse system. As THAAD development and the Navys Aegis SM3 missiles progresses it'll continue to grow. There is also a lot of proven programs in mothballs (i.e. the USAF ASAT program) that can be pulled and fielded pretty darn quick. Where the objction comes in is with people that think we have no credible threats - which is utter Bullshit. Just within the last month the Russian defense chief overtly threatened Nato with a nuclear strike. The nuclear threat is still there it's just not paid any attention since the cold war "ended".
    Russia said they would target the missle defenses if they didn't get reassurances (treaty) that they were not going to be used against them. They are not threatening our cities or population centers, which we both
    targeted in the Cold War.Targeting (aiming) and firing are two different things. I heard these threats weekly from Russia when the Pershing II Nukes were being put in Europe and I was stationed in Germany. I do
    agree if we got the means to field a proven system, if it doesn't break our entire military budget, lets do it. We probably have a bigger head start on this than I was thinking we did. I think the Russian statement
    was playing to a domestic audience before elections were held there. Even so, any threats are B.S. If they want to be treated as grownups they need to act like one.

Senior Veteran

The countries you list are not currently a real threat in terms of global war. War between Pakistan and India remains a real possibility, but even there I think you see the same mutually assured destruction deterrent that always kept the US and the Soviet Union from bombing each other. China's not about to bomb us, why would you kill the guy who owes you a huge amount of money?

Worrying about this makes little more sense than worrying about global warming. Trying to "solve" either is a waste of tax dollars. Spend the money on preventing a more likely near term nuclear threat, port monitoring, looking for small scale terrorist oriented devices, etc.