Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Manurhin (French) 9mm P1

Questions on Manurhin (French) 9mm P1

Went by my watering hole today and they had a Manurhin (French) made 9mm P1. I don't collect a lot of handguns and had never heard of a Manurhin P1. It looks in good condition, comes
    with two mags and leather holster. Asking $349.95. About all I know from the web is its a postwar French made P1. My questions are: How common is it in the states?
    2. Is there any unusual demand or market for them? 3. Is it as it appears - identical to the Walter P1? 4. Does the price sound about right? I have a German Walter P38 and also P1 and thought
    this might be a nice addition.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 12-31-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Not sure how common they are, since I've never seen one for sale...

That's not much more than German P1s are going for from AIM right now, so I'd say it's probably not a bad deal, and would round out the collection.
    Guns & Coffee
    COG#1001

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Not sure how common they are, since I've never seen one for sale...

That's not much more than German P1s are going for from AIM right now, so I'd say it's probably not a bad deal, and would round out the collection.
    I left without buying it. When I got home I could not get it out of my mind, so called them and asked them to put it in the backroom for me. I thought as you stated on the deal.

Manurhin of France was licensed by Walther to manufacture the PP, PPK, PPKS, and P1 (plus some other guns if I am not mistaken) post WWII. They are essentially Walthers but I don't know how good their quality is.
    Integrity is doing what you say you are going to do...

Senior Veteran

Here;s some info for you and a pic.

This is the .357 revolver made by them. Looks like pretty good quality stuff.
    Here's some information for you and a great photo budd.

Manurhin MR-73 (French).pdf

They also had the SIG-540 liscensed to them and some company in Chile.

SIG SG-450.pdf
    Last edited by Wertik; 12-31-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret View Post
    Manurhin of France was licensed by Walther to manufacture the PP, PPK, PPKS, and P1 (plus some other guns if I am not mistaken) post WWII. They are essentially Walthers but I don't know how good their quality is.
    The articles I read only mentioned the French as makers as a side note. I got the impression the French got their hands on German factory equipment at the end of the war. It is probably going to be hard to
    get my questions fully answered. Again, I never heard of them before today.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 12-31-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Senior Veteran
    I've got a Walther parts built P1 that was put together on a Manhurin frame. After I spent the cash on that frame another collector pointed out a few dozen threads on some websites about them cracking in certain spots on the frame and slide. Needless to say I keep a pretty close eye on that puppy.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
    I've got a Walther parts built P1 that was put together on a Manhurin frame. After I spent the cash on that frame another collector pointed out a few dozen threads on some websites about them cracking in certain spots on the frame and slide. Needless to say I keep a pretty close eye on that puppy.
    Thanks, I will look it over very closely!! I probably won't be firing it much, but that is stuff I need to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ... I probably won't be firing it much,...
    That's a good idea. The French P1 is of good quality, anything is interchangeble with Walther parts, but they only made the first P1 version. They never enforced the frame with the hexpin or beefed up the slide as Walther had done it.

The Manurhin P1 is not very common in Germany, I guess 99% are owned by collectors. I had one in 1980, my first year at the police academy. Has yours a stamp on the left side of the trigger guard? Looking like a blossom? If yes, it's the property mark of the West-Berlin Police, it's the police star or sunburst as the most collectors around the world like to call it.

In West-Berlin the police had 14,630 P1 (the Custom 600 and the Department of Corrections 94), the P1 was introduced in 1963 and used by sworn officers until 1981, and until 1985 by the FPR (the paramilitary Volunteer Police Force).

Quote Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret View Post
    As mentioned, the quality was good. Manurhin also made our SMGs "Walther" MPL and MPK and they converted our MG42 into the 7.62 x 51mm MG3 MRH A3, a MG3 without the AA-sight.

If it's French it's probably never been shot.
    :P

Seriously though. I like guns like that. I'd grab it even if I didn't plan on firing it, especially for that price.