Thread: Question about tripods

Question about tripods

Does anyone know what the maximum weight limits are on certain tripods? Planning on modifying one later this year to mount my Lahti L39 on but I don't know if some of them will be able to hold up to the weight. I'm leaning towards the .50 cal tripod but I like the MAG58 tripod. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Noskov View Post
    Does anyone know what the maximum weight limits are on certain tripods? Planning on modifying one later this year to mount my Lahti L39 on but I don't know if some of them will be able to hold up to the weight. I'm leaning towards the .50 cal tripod but I like the MAG58 tripod. Any thoughts?
    go with the 50, it will be more stable and easier to carry.
    IMHO
    ron
    31B

Quote Originally Posted by Planning View Post
    go with the 50, it will be more stable and easier to carry.
    IMHO
    ron
    I think you're right. The .50 cal weighs about 80lbs? I think the tripod should be able to hold up the 120 or so lbs of my Lahti. I was even thinking of the Sokolov mount because it has wheels.

Super Moderator
    Why don't you just build one? It would probably be cheaper and it will be the way you want it.

you may have to come up with something custom to take the weight of that beast. of course i'm not sure. but if anything stock is going to handle it i got to aggre with ron. try the m3 tripod for the ma duece.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Imperial Marine Stormtrooper
    i assume you have made an attempt to find a correct tree stump mount?

l39it.jpg

My personal suggestion would be to mount it on a 1917a1 tripod. I have personally seen 50 BMG fired off of one with no ill affects, and they used to fire recoiless rifle anti tank guns off of them

Quote Originally Posted by Perro Del Diablo View Post
    i assume you have made an attempt to find a correct tree stump mount?

l39it.jpg

My personal suggestion would be to mount it on a 1917a1 tripod. I have personally seen 50 BMG fired off of one with no ill affects, and they used to fire recoiless rifle anti tank guns off of them
    I've seen one of those tree-stump mounts but it came with the gun so the seller did not want to piece them apart. Building one would be the cheapest route since I don't have to pay for another monstrous shipping cost but the mount will be the last purchase after conversion is done. Gives me time to consider all the options.

Yes the 1917 would be the way to go, but if you find one, it will be over $1g and then you need to come up with a pintel that fits.

Quote Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
    Yes the 1917 would be the way to go, but if you find one, it will be over $1g and then you need to come up with a pintel that fits.
    I'm not looking to break the bank on the tripod, the Lahti was already a back breaker.

Veteran
    I know its a bit of a necrothread post but the 50 cal M3 tripod is the way to go. Its not so much a weight limit as a leverage limit. The long L39 has more leverage to tip the tripod so you need longer legs to counteract it. I built an adapter to put my lahti on an M3 tripod and found that if I didn't extend the back legs all the way out the tripod would tip up quite a lot on firing. Sticking the legs back reduced that to just an inch or two. Tossing a sandbag on the legs stopped that.
    I watched someone who adapted a Finnish Maxim tripod to fit his lahti. It worked but you could see the rear leg bending when he fired and the mount was not very stable.
    Hope whatever you did worked.

Frank