Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 ton press Harbor Freight vs JEGS

Question 12 ton press Harbor Freight vs JEGS

Which is a better Press? I own some Harbor Freight tools and they are not the best quality but they get the job done, I've had no experince with Jegs tools but I've heard there better quality, any insight?

Also I visited my local Harbor Freight store and was not impressed with the 12 ton press, the 20 ton press on the other hand was sturdy and well built, bigger work area as well, will a 20 ton press be to much of an over kill for AK Builds?

Thanks

Senior Veteran Evilblackgunsrfun's Avatar
    I have always been happy with Jeg's tools and shop equipment, not so much with Harbor Freight. Me,my dad ,and my brother use to build and race drag cars here, so we needed decent tools and equipment. Even things like Jeg's engine stands were a better quality then Harbor Freights.
    COG#99999

I can't speak for JEGS tools, but I personally have a harbor freight 12 ton A-frame press that I've had in service since late 2010.. As of right now, it's got somewhere around 30 builds under its belt with no major problems.. The only *bad* thing though about the harbor freight 12 ton press is that after a while, the press plates will certainly give way under the pressure that is put on them.. My press plates developed stress cracks and failed during the forming of an AK receiver flat but fortunately though, the rest of the press wasn't damaged and the press plates had quite a long life before they went kaput..

I recommend the harbor freight A-frame presses even though I had to replace the press plates...

My buddy picked up the 20 ton press for a little over $100. We used it to do some ujoints, using harbor freight sockets as the press dies. It seems like it will last quite a while because there are no electrical parts in it.

You might also check craigslist. It's really just a bottle jack and some metal.

Imperial Marine Stormtrooper
    the ram on the harbor freight 20 ton press is too large in diameter to fit inside the receiver of an AK, and you will need to make a turned down ram that fits over the top of the factory ram to reduce the size of the ram to fit inside an AK receiver.

12 ton is perfectly fine for doing AK47 work

i bought a HF 20 ton several years ago. i have built several rifles with it and a few other projects. when i need a jack some where i just pull the jack out of it and use it. works for me and the price was right.$139.00.

ron
    31B

only bad part og the HF press is the slop in the press mount....Im about to shim mine.....
    COG#169 Terra Firma....No Doubt!

I have the harbor freight 12 ton, it is not the A frame. I have built 5 AK's with it and never needed more.

Thanks for all your input guys, it looks like I'm going with the JEGS press, not to crazy about oredering heavy equipment on line but all the presses that Harbor Freight had in the store had the ram welded on crooked.
    Once again.
    Thank you

Senior Veteran
    I picked up a 12 ton press from Northern Tool several years back and it has worked out good for me. Had to modify the frame to tighten it up a little. As far as press plates, made my own for my needs. The plates that come with the press were most likely designed to press rear axle bearings on and off and other auto related parts.
    SOST HJJC WGU WGD WDEFA