Thread: #5 enfield jungle rifle.

#5 enfield jungle rifle.

i took my son to the gun show today to help him along with his new illness in bolt action rifles.

we were looking at N0 4's and N0. 1 mkIII

while he was looking at them at one table i watched several people pick up a No 5 Mk1 and look it over and put it down. i went over and picked it up and looked it over and put it down and we walked away.
    well, for several hours and i kept thinking there was something about the rifle i needed to go back and look at it again. i did, and i am really glad i did. the guy that had the rifle was getting tired of people looking at it. the rifle looked really bad (DIRTY). i started to walk away and turned around and asked him what his best price was. i tried not to smile as i handed him the money. it was a great deal for me. when i got home i took it apart and there was so much crude, grease, etc. that i put it in the bath tub and sprayed scrubbing bubbles all over it. i let it sit for about 5 min. and then washed it off real good and dried it very good. all the parts have matching numbers, hand guard, stock, front lower stock, bolt, mag,etc. everything has a number on it that matches. the metal finish is very nice with some wear here and there. there are some very small repairs on the stock.the bore is bright and shiney, great lands. it apears to have been carried a lot, but not shot much. it is an original unmolested ( not refurbished)1945 B.S.A. ( M/47C)

we finally found a No1 MKIII for my son. i was afraid he was not going to buy it, but he did. ( had he not bought it i would have). he also got it for a very good price. it is a 1911 manufactured, B.S.A. co. the finish is very nice, wood is very good and no import markings on it.

i will post some pictures when i get my camera fixed or a new camera.

ron
    Last edited by Planning; 01-21-2012 at 08:44 PM.
    31B

I remember not that long ago those things were as rare as hens teeth, now I see them all over, but few matchng like yours nice score..
    I love you guys...

Back in the late 50s early 60s Golden State Arms (Santa Fe Div) brought a fair number of No.5s in. Many were converted to sporting rifles. There also was a number of Jungle Carbines sold that
    were actually No.4s converted to look like the Jungle Carbine. I had one of the Golden State Arms Jungle Carbines, but traded it off for a near pristine No.5 with no inport marks. A couple of weeks
    ago I posted a picture of it under Enfields. I think it is real neat how you got yours. Sometimes under all that dirt is a diamond that just needs cleaning. Congrats to you and your son!
    Last edited by Buckshot; 01-22-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Top to bottom are #1s - London Small Arms (1915) and Lithgow (1920); third down is a US Marked Savage #4 Mk1; bottom is my #5.

I also have a US Savage #4 that was "sporterized" that I had intended to make into a "Tanker" Enfield but haven't. I am considering selling all 5 of them for $1,200 plus shipping...
    Integrity is doing what you say you are going to do...

Top to bottom are #1s - London Small Arms (1915) and Lithgow (1920); third down is a US Marked Savage #4 Mk1; bottom is my #5.

I also have a US Savage #4 that was "sporterized" that I had intended to make into a "Tanker" Enfield but haven't. I am considering selling all 5 of them for $1,200 plus shipping...[/QUOTE]

The five Enfields I have are almost a duplicate of yours, Lithgow, US marked Savage, No.5, etc, or I would be very interested in yours. The Enfields are one of the dwindling military C&R types that
    can still be picked up at very good prices and your certainly would be priced to sell.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 01-22-2012 at 01:02 PM.

CWO, my #5 has the same looking stamp as yours, but mine does not have "ENGLAND"
    on it.

i am looking for more enfields in my safes. i think i have a couple more N04's and a couple of
    N0.1's in .410. the fun is looking for them.

"we finally found a No1 MKIII for my son. i was afraid he was not going to buy it, but he did. ( had he not bought it i would have). he also got it for a very good price. it is a 1911 manufactured, B.S.A. co. the finish is very nice, wood is very good and no import markings on it."
    i have been reading up on his rifle and it apears he made a very good choice. they are very rare in the condition he bought. there is a lot of history on them, so more reading is needed.

ron
    Last edited by Planning; 01-23-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    31B

Quote Originally Posted by Planning View Post
    CWO, my #5 has the same looking stamp as yours, but mine does naot have "ENGLAND"
    on it.

i am looking for more enfields in my safes. i think i have a couple more N04's and a couple of
    N0.1's in .410. the fun is looking for them.

"we finally found a No1 MKIII for my son. i was afraid he was not going to buy it, but he did. ( had he not bought it i would have). he also got it for a very good price. it is a 1911 manufactured, B.S.A. co. the finish is very nice, wood is very good and no import markings on it."
    i have been reading up on his rifle and it apears he made a very good choice. they are very rare in the condition he bought. there is a lot of history on them, so more reading is needed.

ron
    For what it is worth my 1946 No.5 also has "England" on it.

Good score! I look forward to seeing pics.

Also appreciate the Scrubbing Bubbles tip.
    Royal Australian Army Medical Corp: We Bury Our Mistakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Patria Povo View Post
    Good score! I look forward to seeing pics.

Also appreciate the Scrubbing Bubbles tip.
    go easy with the scrubbing bubbles. i don't usually use it for cleaning, but this is the worse dirty rifle i have seen in years. i am still cleaning. it is hard to clean and not take off any of the wood. i don't do any sanding as i am only trying to get out the dirt, oil, etc. it will take a lot longer to do it this way. i use curity alchol prep pads. ( it takes a lot of them and pulls out the oil and dirt a little at a time. i want all the nick, gouges, cuts, etc. to stay as they are on the wood. i want the wear spot on the metal to stay. i will clean up any spots of rust i find and reblue the if needed. the woold will still be dark when i get thru with it. when i finish cleaning it i will put on several coats of johnson floor wax. i live on the texas gulf coast and it seems to protect the metal and the wood best. it will wipe off easy. i would be cleaning all the time if i didn't do this. i like the been there done that look.
    ron
    31B