Thread: Remington Golden Sabers .38 Special

Veteran

Remington Golden Sabers .38 Special

I had gotten a S&W 438 Airweight this past year and had a little bit of trouble getting bullets to expand out of the short barrel. Then I tried a box of the Golden Sabers 125 gr. .38 special +P, and well I think the pictures will explain well enough.....shot though a one gallon milk jug filled with water.

All bullets tested expanded properly and pretty much look the same, and all recovered bullets have come out weighting in the 125 gr area so it fully retains it's mass. I'd highly suggest this bullet for anyone with a short barrel .38. I haven't been able to get a hold of any of the Speer 135 gr. short barrel gold dots yet, but I'm interested in how these two compare.

Regards,

JP99
    Last edited by jp99; 02-09-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Neat. I carry the 124gr in my M&P9. I may keep an eye out for some of those for my 442.

Right now I've got Winchester PDX in it. Any experience with those?
    Guns & Coffee
    COG#1001

Veteran
    I don't have any, I know XTPs do not open up and most of the old fashioned styles do not either that are common in your bulk packs. I just stumbled upon these when I was looking for some gold dots, and noticed the nice deep cavity, with the long cut serations on the jacket. They also have a little thinner jacket. They actually make two different .38 caliber bullets in this golden saber. One is made for .357s or .38s with a longer barrel and these ones are made with the deep cavity and serations. I'll try to get a good picture of the difference tomorrow. Sorry I can't be of any help with the PDK's but I've never even seen them locally, if I come across them I'll certainly test them out though. I'm willing to try out new things and experiment, I find it very interesting myself. I'll keep an eye out specially for them next time I'm through the gun shops.

Regards,

JP99

Veteran
    I'm by no means bashing the XTP either it's a fine bullet just in this situation they don't open up at the lower velocity.

Here's a golden Saber that was made for the longer barrels out of my 4" 686 shot only through a 1/2 gallon jug, so you know expansion starts on impact

I got some of the XTP out of the 686 somewhere too, and they performed rather well too. Both the Golden Saber and the XTP retained their weight and expanded well.

Regards,

JP99

Veteran
    Here is the difference in the Jacket serations.

and of the bullet cavity, the .357 looks wider, but the .38 is much deeper. the .357 has a wider shallower hollow point, where as the .38 is narrower but deeper.

Regards,

JP99

Nice pics. After much research, that was also my preferred load for snub nosed .38s.
    Royal Australian Army Medical Corp: We Bury Our Mistakes!

Veteran
    Thank you, it really is a rather good bullet for the snub nose, just wish I could find more of it in standard pressure locally. I've found the standard pressure Golden Saber opens up rather nice too. I'd really like to get a hold of some 135 gr. gold dots to test though, but everyone is out of stock everytime I go to order some. I do plan on running some cast bullets through it this summer too though. A SWC cast soft by today's standards.

Regards,

JP99