Thread: MGI Hydra?

MGI Hydra?

So this thing has been around for several years but rarely see any mention of it aside from a harsh review on warriortalk.com

I like the modularity but anyone else know anything about these?

pix504239922.jpg

Planning, That MGI Hydra is a modular weapons system. The lower is actually two pieces. The magwell half and the fire control half. Multiple calibers and multiple magwells. You can change it all over to a different caliber and magwell in a minute or so.
    The guy that developed it is the son of the guy who started Bushmaster. They even have a belt fed adaptation.
    "Those that do not have swords may still die by them"

This video shows how the thing switches calibers which is interesting. Might still be an expensive novelty idea but I kind of like it.

Veteran
    Guys who run a RDIAS love them. I have a buddy who Has a number of the magwells and the uppers to match them. It is a blast to go from 5.56 to 5.45 to x39 to 9mm to .45 in a matter of seconds. All of what he has runs like a raped ape. The great part is that the FCG portion of the lower has a low shelf, and was almost designed with a RDIAS in mind. Maybe one of these days I'll sell off some stuff and get a RDIAS and MGI setup. I think he has right around 20k in his including the sear.

ETA: They're supposedly coming out with a 7.62x51 magwell for this thing in the near future. That might just motivate me if it runs as well as the others.
    Last edited by Caeb75; 02-24-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add info

I love the design and I was seriously considering buying one but then I read several bad reviews mainly concerning customer service and parts avaliability. That was a few years ago and just stuff I read on-line I don't know anyone with first hand experience.

I hope they have got the bugs worked out and are able to grow the line a little because this is almost exactly what I am looking for. Now if they would just make a piston driven upper.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great 308 View Post
    I love the design and I was seriously considering buying one but then I read several bad reviews mainly concerning customer service and parts avaliability. That was a few years ago and just stuff I read on-line I don't know anyone with first hand experience.

I hope they have got the bugs worked out and are able to grow the line a little because this is almost exactly what I am looking for. Now if they would just make a piston driven upper.
    Exact same reason I didn't opt to buy one after reading all the negative reviews on customer service as well as quality control issues. Ah well, hopefully this idea gets picked up on elsewhere.

Senior Veteran Evilblackgunsrfun's Avatar
    the vid must have been made while it still had some bugs, i think every time it showed the rifle being fired there were no sights on the rifle, and onley the one barrel had a front standard gas block sight
    its a heck of a idea, but to much money involved for me.
    COG#99999

Veteran
    so has anybody here bought one? is it worth the money?