Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Russian 7.62x54R Tokarev SVT-40

Question Questions on Russian 7.62x54R Tokarev SVT-40

Strong possibility I can buy one of these in the next day or two. Has anyone any experience with these rifles? Wikipedia has the general info, but would like something more
    specific on function, availabilty, value, etc. In short, are they worth a darn and is it worth buying?? I know nothing about them.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-02-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Strong posibility I can buy one of these in the next day or two. Has anyone any experience with these rifles? Wikipedia has the general info, but would like something more
    specific on function, availabilty, value, etc. In short are they worth a darn and is it worth buying?? I know nothing about them.
    over the years i have owned maybe 50+ of them. i only shot a few of them and i really enjoyed shooting them. i quit shooting them when it became very hard to get replacement parts for them and i sold off most of them. i still have a few down in the safes for my grandsons to get when i am gone.

to me shooting them is only a little better than shooting the russian M91/30 rifle. i really enjoy shooting the M91/30 because i know i can get parts for them.

would i buy another SVT-40? if the price was right i would but, only as an investment. i think for the most part they have stablized in price at around $850-$900. i have found them for less and see a few for a little more. if your going to have a Russian rifle collection or a WWII rifle collection it is a must have.

when i took them to the range they were a crowd gatherer. people really enjoy looking at them and watching them to be shot.

ron

Ron, he is quoting me $790.00. It looks very good condition and is coming out of an older Gettlemen's collection. Is that a 10 round mag?

Ron, he is quoting me $790.00. It looks very good condition and is coming out of an older Gettlemen's collection. Is that a 10 round mag?
    that sounds like something i would buy. anything under $800 i would usually buy.
    yes 10 round mag.
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by Planning View Post
    that sounds like something i would buy. anything under $800 i would usually buy.
    yes 10 round mag.
    ron
    Thanks Ron, I really needed that price info! The dealer said the guy who spoke first for it is backing out. As soon as he confirms that the gun is mine.

They are a blast to shoot. Mine is really finicky with surplus ammo. (gas adjustment wise) Bulgarian surplus works the best. Other ammos, i get failure to extract.
    You will never get the barrel clean if you choose to buy it.
    My advice is never shoot laquer coated surplus in it. I shot one round and it stuck in there.

Quote Originally Posted by petro View Post
    My advice is never shoot laquer coated surplus in it. I shot one round and it stuck in there.
    I've got a few SVTs (two -40s and one -38) and I've put thousands of round of surplus ammo through them without any stuck cases. the chambers are fluted, which should really help to keep that from happening in the first place. Was the gas system properly adjusted for the catridges being used? I could see that causing an issue, perhaps?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Quote Originally Posted by ptrthgr8 View Post
    I've got a few SVTs (two -40s and one -38) and I've put thousands of round of surplus ammo through them without any stuck cases. the chambers are fluted, which should really help to keep that from happening in the first place. Was the gas system properly adjusted for the catridges being used? I could see that causing an issue, perhaps?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~
    Thanks for the info! The original deal went bust - but a real good guy on the forum is fixing me up with one. I should have it shortly.

Thanks for the info! The original deal went bust - but a real good guy on the forum is fixing me up with one. I should have it shortly.
    It's always nice when another deal comes around after one goes bust. I think you'll like the SVT-40. It's definitely a fun rifle to shoot and the bark from the muzzle brake is quite distinctive. I prefer the early models with the 12-slot brakes and scope mount grooves machined into the receiver, but any of them are good fun.

If you're looking for a shooter, I would definitely go for a refurb as your first. Look for the plum colored bolt carrier - that's a dead giveaway. Those that didn't get refurbed (bolt carrier is in the white) generally have a higher collectors value because so few escaped the refurb process. Most of the Finnish marked examples will also have the bolt carrier in the white (look for the [SA] stamp on the left side of the receiver bridge). I'm a Finn Mosin collector, so I like the fact that all three of my SVTs have the Finnish property mark.

As was mentioned earlier, completely disassembling the gast system can be a real pain. Not impossible, but something to test your patience for sure.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Banned
    i have a tula svt - 40 myself,great gun,like he said i take it to range it does draw a crowd,nice straight shooting gun for ww2 relic.that price is very fair right now ,only thing is i would never buy any russian war relic i could not handinspect personaly, many have shot out barrels due to all russian ww2 era ammo has corrosive primers but most allready know this, mines about 70% rifling left.also it is a rebuild or or battefeild capture ,the plum bolt and stenciled numbers is a deff giveaway on rebuild by an arsenal after war, but none were given new barrels. if it has a good bit of rifling left great gun,if not its a wall hanger .ide post some pics of it but im having it fitted with the russian pu scope as i dont have the best eyes anymore too much time in desert i guess.some would say thats a dumb move, but i do not sell my rifles i may trade one for another but if i cant see the target the rifle is usless to me and i like long range skills 100 yrds anyone can do i want to do it at 4 and 500 meters.I like to stretch the limits of the weapons platform im useing that day as far as i can .A nd for that i need magnification period. so to me it doesnt matter i cant do with it what i want just to look at is useless to me. now if this was a non rebuilt gun and totaly 100% original or the krokov rare svt i would not touch it , mines a reg old arsenal rebuild and im never sellin it anyways.Y ou will love it if it has a good bore and works like it was designed to. just measure the bore its reading over .310 dia. its most likley shot out, you could go to bigger bullets like the 303 or 7.7 jap that is a .311. but accuracy will deff suffer even with oversized bullets.also on the ammo surplus. i get the spam cans from cheaper thandirt, russian lba 149 grain steel core ,its corrosive but just remember ya windex when ya clean it, with that ball ammo ive never had a prob with extraction or misfiress,and yes the laquer coated crap will stick in the chamber and is a real pain to get out stick with the russian spam cans you can shoot it all damn day.
    Last edited by Damian45acp; 05-14-2012 at 11:53 AM.