Thread: Going price DPMS AR-15

Going price DPMS AR-15

The Wal*Mart near me has recently been stocking AR's and has a DPMS AR-15 for $537, just wondering if that's a good price or not. It didn't have any front or rear sights but did have an adjustable stock. I've been thinking about selling my PLR-16 and getting an AR and am wondering if now's the time.
    "A machine gun is any gun that can fire more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger, or a receiver of a machine gun, or a combination of parts for assembling a machine gun, or a part or set of parts for converting a gun into a machine gun."
    http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIF1.html

Yes, that is a good price. You can hardley build one for that price. Can not believe WalMart is selling ARs. I would run and buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty View Post
    The Wal*Mart near me has recently been stocking AR's and has a DPMS AR-15 for $537, just wondering if that's a good price or not. It didn't have any front or rear sights but did have an adjustable stock. I've been thinking about selling my PLR-16 and getting an AR and am wondering if now's the time.
    Seems like a very good price. I take it it has a front rail for iron sights, (if you wanted to put them on)? Also front sling attachment? Also, every once in a while I see a cheaper adjustable stock without a
    (rear) sling attachment. Just things that could add to the cost if you had to put them on. Make sure it is 5.56 compatible. Sorry, you probably already have thought about all this. Wow, your Walmart has
    AR-15s! As mojohona indicated, I too would have a tough time building one for that.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-03-2012 at 04:37 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Quote Originally Posted by mojohona View Post
    Yes, that is a good price. You can hardley build one for that price. Can not believe WalMart is selling ARs. I would run and buy it.
    Thanks for the reply. Not to brag, but there are two other AR's at the Wal*Mart (Sig Sauer) and one .22 that looks like an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Seems like a very good price. I take it it has a front rail for iron sights, (if you wanted to put them on)? Also front sling attachment? Also, every once in a while I see a cheaper adjustable stock without a
    (rear) sling attachment. Just things that could add to the cost if you had to put them on. Wow, your Walmart has AR-15s! As mojohona indicated, I too would have a tough time building one for that.
    Yes, rail for the front sights but no sights themselves. I didn't look at it long enough to spot a front sling attachment. I'm going to check it out more in-depth tomorrow. Anybody want a PLR-16?
    Last edited by Schmitty; 03-03-2012 at 04:37 AM.
    "A machine gun is any gun that can fire more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger, or a receiver of a machine gun, or a combination of parts for assembling a machine gun, or a part or set of parts for converting a gun into a machine gun."

Senior Veteran Evilblackgunsrfun's Avatar
    537.00 is a great price. No Wally Worlds around me sale AR's, Cabelas had the cheapest price around here at one time of 699.00. You could choose either a DPMS or Bushmaster M4 with the light weight barrel.
    The one Wal-Mart is offering must be the Optics Ready version. And at 537.00, I would run and buy it today if it was at my local Wal-Mart .
    COG#99999

I edited my original message not knowing you were already responding, quote won't be quite the same as the message.

599.00 is the cheapest I've seen them and you have to pay transfer on top. Excellent price and on par with what it costs to build. Postage is getting out of hand in some places.
    It always looks darkest.....just before it goes totally black.
    COG# 11M1P

Unfortunately, the rifle was too good to be true. While it did have sling attachments front and rear, the upper was some simplistic upper I had never seen before that lacked an ejection port cover (not even the ability to add one) and lacked a forward assist and case deflector. Also the rails for front and rear sights were different elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty View Post
    Unfortunately, the rifle was too good to be true. While it did have sling attachments front and rear, the upper was some simplistic upper I had never seen before that lacked an ejection port cover (not even the ability to add one) and lacked a forward assist and case deflector. Also the rails for front and rear sights were different elevations.
    Did you get a chance to check the barrel too? .223 only, or was it 5.56 and could use both? Unfortunately Wallie World has so much buying power they can get a company to cut corners on making
    what should be a good product to meet their pricing standards. A few years ago I asked a John Deere Tractor dealer, who also sold John Deere lawn mowers, etc, how he felt about Wallie World
    and the other discount chains not only being allowed to sell them, but at a cheaper price. He explained that John Deere had cheap (low quality) versions of what their dealers sold made for the
    discount chains. You could buy a "John Deere" at the discount stores, but it was "John Deere" in name only.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-04-2012 at 05:41 AM.