Thread: Colt .45 back home again!

Colt .45 back home again!

Somewhere in the 2003/4 time frame I sold off a lot of guns to finance machine purchases for my shop. I sold my Series 80 Colt Government Model to my ex-father-in-law to purchase a Bridgeport mill. For the last few months I've had the hankering for another .45 and been eyeballing different models at the shows. On a lark, I sent him an email last week and asked if he'd consider selling it back and surprisingly he said yes, so today I got it back for about the same money I sold it to him for.

The only thing he did to it was change out the series 80 transfer bar safety system with a link bought from Brownells to bypass the setup. He saved all the parts though so I could restore it if I want to. The question is, do I want to?

I had this gun tricked out with different grips, beavertail, recoil guide (wilson?) and some other stuff but returned it to stock before I sold it. Luckily, I saved everything all these years and can put it all back on. I'm assuming that in the last 8 years there are probably better things to install and will have to start reading up.

Nice looking gun and rather neat you got it back. I never had any problems with anyone changing things out as long as they kept the parts and the gun could be restored back to original. If you like it that way, why
    not leave it alone.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran Evilblackgunsrfun's Avatar
    Very nice.
    COG#99999

Nice pistol, what kind of front sight, I like the orange. Semper Fi

Classic
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

I'm not positive but I think the sight wet was a Wilson high profile target set. I just spent some quality time with the pistol this morning putting the parts back in it that I removed before selling it. I put the transfer bar parts back traded out the stock grip safety for a slim beavertail, put the pachmyrs back on, installed the recoil guide system and traded the barrel bushing out.

It's amazing how much I've forgotten about these things (The other thing I forgot was how thin the barrels look). Back in the 80's I was a .45 geek. I shot some amateur IPSC at a local club with a gun I built just for it (not this one). I have a 60% frame casting sitting in the shop, maybe it's time to finish it ad build another.

I need to get back to the range soon to check it and the new HK33 out.