Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M-1 Carbine ammo??

M-1 Carbine ammo??

I recently bought several USGI M-1 Carbines and really like the small guns. No recoil and a blast to plink with. I bought several hundred 2/3rds jacketed round point rds for them.
    I figured they would feed OK, but have been having some feeding problems with the rounds in all the guns. I am beginning to think I need to buy FMJ rounds for reliability.
    Trying to get some feedback on what you all are using in these carbines. I don't mind going to FMJ rounds, but would like the option of using a semi-jacketed s.p./h.p. type round
    if needed. Thanks for any help you can give on this.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

the couple of carbines i have like the fmj. i haven't had any trouble with those. however i have never tried sp or hp rounds so i can't compare.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I recently bought several USGI M-1 Carbines and really like the small guns. No recoil and a blast to plink with. I bought several hundred 2/3rds jacketed round point rds for them.
    I figured they would feed OK, but have been having some feeding problems with the rounds in all the guns. I am beginning to think I need to buy FMJ rounds for reliability.
    Trying to get some feedback on what you all are using in these carbines. I don't mind going to FMJ rounds, but would like the option of using a semi-jacketed s.p./h.p. type round
    if needed. Thanks for any help you can give on this.
    i have a few of the M-1 carbines and the only ammo i use in them is FMJ. i tried a few other rounds and didn't have any luck. there maybe other rounds that do well, but i gave up and bought a few rounds of the FMJ for storage and i will stick with it.
    IMHO
    RON
    31B

Stocking up on some more rounds for the carbines is high on my list and unless someone comes up with a good alternative I probably need to buy FMJ. I hate the fact I have at least 600 rds of the
    semi-jacketed s.p.(s).

Senior Veteran Evilblackgunsrfun's Avatar
    Noskov has one of those Raging Thirty pistols in .30 cal carbine, might want to ask him if he would be interested in the semi-jackets . Never know, he may have some FMJ and you guys could do some horse trading
    COG#99999

Quote Originally Posted by Evilblackgunsrfun View Post
    Noskov has one of those Raging Thirty pistols in .30 cal carbine, might want to ask him if he would be interested in the semi-jackets . Never know, he may have some FMJ and you guys could do some horse trading
    Thanks, they would be perfect for a revolver, no jamming issue there.

Senior Veteran Evilblackgunsrfun's Avatar
    Your welcome Buckshot, hope it helps both of you guys out.
    COG#99999

You might try a box of Speer gold dot carbine ammo. I haven't found any locally yet, but it's supposed to be out there. Mine won't shoot the 115 lead Oregon Trail bullets. They must of been a problem since they don't offer them any more. I have no problem with the 100gr plinker bullets or the lead nose bulles, but most of mine are the standard 110gr ball.

I use the plinker when I reload for my 1895 Nagant revolver.I run the nagant brass through the M1 carbine sizer die.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I am beginning to think I need to buy FMJ rounds for reliability.
    I had two friends that used carbines to hunt deer years ago. When we shot them with sp for practice. they would get a hang up with the five rnd mag. We realized it was not the mag but the sp ammo.

Other board memebers may disagree with me on this. But I have never had any of my milsurp semi autos weapons function correctly with sp or semi sp. They were made for fmj, it's like putting cheap gasoline in a 1964 GTO.

The GTO will start up and drive, just not the way Pontiac indended
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    I had two friends that used carbines to hunt deer years ago. When we shot them with sp for practice. they would get a hang up with the five rnd mag. We realized it was not the mag but the sp ammo.

Other board memebers may disagree with me on this. But I have never had any of my milsurp semi autos weapons function correctly with sp or semi sp. They were made for fmj, it's like putting cheap gasoline in a 1964 GTO.

The GTO will start up and drive, just not the way Pontiac indended
    I am going to FMJ on the carbines anyway. About 1 out of every 5 rounds jam with s.p. I am using a 2/3rds jacketed s.p. so if anything should workj,they should, but they don't.