Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WW2 Guadalcanal bolo knife with scabbard

WW2 Guadalcanal bolo knife with scabbard

I got this out of a estate. It is a shame some family member didn't value this enough to keep it. The scabbard is embossed "U.S. Boyt 42" (1942).
    The service member had his name, etc, engraved on it and had it cromed. The pictures are very poor, but you might be able to read Guadalcanal
    in the diamond. I was always fascinated by that early WW2 campaign. It was a pretty epic land, air and sea battle that went on for several
    months. It was our first real offensive action against the Japanese and that early point of the war we didn't have overwhelming strenght.
    There was times the issue of us winning the campaign was in doubt. The diamond with a 1 in it is a unit shoulder patch for the 1st Marine
    Division, which made the landing and did most of the fighting. The engravings are clear, but the glare off the crome kept me from taking any
    good pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-28-2012 at 10:16 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

1st Marine Division

The Guadalcanal campaign lasted from Aug 42 to Feb 43.

Senior Veteran Evilblackgunsrfun's Avatar
    Very nice Bolo knife, i am sure even the very good pics that you took do it no justice, i say that because of the engravings, pics dont really show how nice engravings like that are anyway. and hey look at it this way, you saved a piece of history there my friend. looks like the knife found a good home.
    COG#99999

I think it will take some proper archival research, but I did a little on-line digging for the original owner. There was someone by that name who was listed as KIA in the July 1943 issue of Life magazine. There was another guy with that name who died in 2007 in PAHRUMP NV, who would have been 18 in 1942.

Here is another example:

And this is what the repros look like: http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-1082...t-machete.aspx
    Royal Australian Army Medical Corp: We Bury Our Mistakes!

Somehow it ended up in NW Arkansas. That might help, but does not prove he was from this area. Even under the crome you can see the patina the knife above has on the one
    I have. I am sure military and Divisional (1st Marine) records exist. Now to find them.

Please turn the blade slightly sideways in front of a white background to catch the engravings. I'd like to see more of the dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    Please turn the blade slightly sideways in front of a white background to catch the engravings. I'd like to see more of the dragon!
    I am trying, but just can't seem to get a good picture of the blade. Reflection is killing me! For what it is worth?

That is a nice piece of history. I guess he used it there and kept it.
    I also am facinated by the early Pacific war as we were not yet geared up. The Army, Navy and USMC were fighting on a shoestring at Guadalcanal
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

The dragon looks to be done in the typical style of eastern China/Hong Kong/Phillipines. I've been trying to see the details more closely, but it's pretty close to the ones I've seen from that area. It stands to reason that the metal work (etching and plating) would have to be done by a vendor with the equipment to do so. There was probably a pretty good market at one time in converting weapons into souvineers.

It was likely he had it done on shore leave or R&R. The 1st Marine Division was sick (malaria, etc) and wore out after the Guadancanal campaign and would have spent several
    months R&R. Is it posible it was done in Hawaii? Many Phillipinos and Chinese lived there. The GIs/Marines probably sent many souvineers home while training there. The attached image
    is exactly the same as what is engraved on the bolo.

Updated: I just found this on the 1st Marine Division

Old Breed got a new lease on life with the end of the war in August 1945. On 30 September, the Division was ordered to Hopeh Province, China, for occupation duty. With its headquarters in
    Tientsin, the Old Breed remained in China until 1947.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-28-2012 at 09:04 PM.