Thread: Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield

Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield

Has anyone here been able to get their hands on a new M&P Shield single stack 9mm? How does it shoot? What do you think of it?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...ld/index.html#
    Last edited by 97th Signalman; 04-27-2012 at 09:43 AM.

97th Signal Bn, 7th Army Main Communications, Germany, 1960-63

My wife and I rented one at our local range. She loved it. It seemed like it had a lot less recoil than smiliar size 9mm. We are looking for one for her. In all the forum surfing I've done I haven't heard anything negative. When my tax return comes in I'll be on the prowl for one. Anyone heard any negative feedback?
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." - Thomas Jefferson

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." - Wendell Phillips

“Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.” William Penn

I have fired both the 9mm and the .40, very nice, a little more comfortable than the double stacks. Currently have one of each on order for the wife and I both. I've heard nothing more negative than you hear from anti S&W folks. I have an M&P compact .45 and the wife has the compact 9. Never had a malfunction on either. Maybe 800 rounds through mine now and 500 through the wife's. I have sold a number of M&P's through the shop and haven't had any complaints or problems. I really like the M&P, and I know this is going to set off the Ford vs Chevy debate, but I can shoot them better than the Glocks or the Springfields, and I own those too. It's not a quality thing it's a "they fit me better" thing.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

Imperial Marine Stormtrooper
    ive got a shield 9, and a M&P 9 Vtac.
    the M&P Vtac (and I believe all the M&P 9s) use a 40SW extractor. and occasionally you will get one in that will throw brass directly into your face as you shoot. This happened with mine, and I had to send it back to Smith. It made me sad because I was so excited to get the Vtac, and I wasn't about to accept brass to the face every single time I pulled the trigger so I sent it back to smith, and They replaced the extractor, and they fit the slide to the frame and barrel better, and now it flings the empties where its supposed to.

I can't say enough about Smiths lifetime service warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Perro Del Diablo View Post
    the M&P Vtac (and I believe all the M&P 9s) use a 40SW extractor. and occasionally you will get one in that will throw brass directly into your face as you shoot. This happened with mine, and I had to send it back to Smith. It made me sad because I was so excited to get the Vtac, and I wasn't about to accept brass to the face every single time I pulled the trigger so I sent it back to smith, and They replaced the extractor, and they fit the slide to the frame and barrel better, and now it flings the empties where its supposed to.

I just roll mine 90 degrees to the left when I'm shooting Seriously though I haven't experienced that yet. Definitely something you don't want the wife to be experiencing, at least not without a turtle neck on. I'll watch more closely. And you are right they do have the same extractor.
    I have had to send a few of the dozens of Smiths I have had over the years back for this or that, and never had a question nor a bill, and it was always corrected the first time.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Perro Del Diablo View Post

What about the 40 S&W guns that you put a 9mm barrel into? Does this present the same issue then?
    Czar of all the Michigans
    In memory of Johnhttp://act.alz.org/goto/Weasel

Imperial Marine Stormtrooper
    it's pretty rare that it happens I think, but it does happen. I went to the smith forum and searched for M&P 9 ejecting to face and it appears that LOTS of people have been in the same boat I was in. It's very simple to send it back to Smith. Just fill out the form on there website and they email you a return label. Mail your gun off, and a couple weeks later it returns working perfectly. According to Smiths paperwork that was included with the gun when it returned, on mine they either replaced the extractor or reworked it, plus they worked on the fit of the slide to the frame and the barrel to the frame.

The gun shoots great now.

A friend of mine has the Shield and he likes it so much it is his daily carry. I don't have a Shield but I have a couple of other S&W's and really like them

Airmedic6