Thread: Broken Cocking tube

New Recruit Private

Broken Cocking tube

I have Century CETME with what I think is an extremely uncommon problem. When I was operating the charging handle to unlock the rollers, the cocking tube came loose from the receiver. I dissasmbled the rifle to see if I somehow broke a weld, and it appears to have never been welded. There is a hole in the part of the tube that inserts into the reciever, but the inside of the reciever is completley smooth at that spot. It looks like the only thing attaching the cocking tube to the reciever was the bake-on paint. I have put about 100 rounds through the rifle since I had it, and I was told I was the first "owner" (got it from a dealer who got it from century). This is one of the first CETME's century built with a stainless steel cast reciever. It has a bolt gap of .017" and HAD a cocking tube gap of .070."

My question is, how does one repair a problem like this? Can I high-temp solder it back in place? Do I have to remove the barrell and then repress it?

IMG_6288.jpg

I haven't worked with a stainless receiver before but it doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to fix if you can weld stainless.

It was prolly welded,just too shallow. The pressure you put on the joint by cocking will break a silver solder,it will need Tig or Miging again. No need to pull the barrel. Someone will sound in on a good smithy to fix it for you for a reasonable fee. In a pinch you could always thread the triple tree hole and replace the dust cap w/ a pipe plug,heh...

BTW,were the inner sleeves spot welded to the receiver in addition to the joint weld,on G3s and Cetmes? It's been a while since I've handled a factory built Hk91,and never a real G3.
    Last edited by KidKalash66; 05-09-2012 at 10:16 PM.
    Buy the ticket,take the ride..... Dr.Hunter S.Thompson

Veteran
    If I remember correctly when I built my cast SS Cetme, I drilled spot weld holes for the cocking tube and welded that joint also. Well I didn't weld it one of my buddies did that for me, I suck as a welder.
    I think it could be rewelded and maybe some spot weld holes cut with and end mill down to the cocking tube to reinforce the weld, just be sure who ever does the work uses a heat sink inside the tube.
    There should be plenty of info in the stickys about how to weld that up and what to use.

New Recruit Private
    Anyone know of a quality gunsmith in the Atlanta, GA area with reasonable prices?

That is a quick fix if you can weld. Clean it up and push it back to where it needs to be, and then run a little 309 over it making sure it doesn't burn through into the tube.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Don't forget that no matter who fixes it, you are going to need to add a shim between the end of the carrier tube and the inside of the cocking handle support to set the carrier gap before welding it into place. You weld it in without the proper gap and it will either be too hard to unlock or it will bust off the end of the receiver again. The shim needs to be .015" plus whatever your existing bolt gap is.

The information on checking the gap is in the stickies.

If you had a CT gap of .070, the rifle should not have unlocked at all unless they lengthened the bolt carrier or shimmed inside the cocking handle support.. The cocking tube will most likely need to be shortened at the shoulder to get it deep enough to set your CT gap correctly. On the stainless receivers, all you need to weld is the joint between receiver and tube. Don't try to puddle weld through holes in the receiver onto the thin inner jacket of the tube. It is not needed. Tig with 308/308L stainless filler rod and a heat sink inside the tube. The hole you are seeing in the inner sleeve of the tube is from where one of the original puddle welds broke out when the gun was de-milled. Double check your bolt gap naw that the cocking tube is forward, to make sure that the .017 wasntt a false gap from the carrier hitting the stop. Could be what caused the weld to fail. Check for ground bolt head also.
    Last edited by bladeworks123; 05-10-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by eric56 View Post
    Anyone know of a quality gunsmith in the Atlanta, GA area with reasonable prices?
    No. See if you can get Bladeworks123 to fix it up!

Quote Originally Posted by eric56 View Post
    Unfortunately I've not seen or heard of smiths in the ATL area who works on this type of rifle.
    It always looks darkest.....just before it goes totally black.
    COG# 11M1P