Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PTR-91 with Wood Furniture

New Recruit

PTR-91 with Wood Furniture

I was looking over CDNN's 2012-2 product catalog when I noticed a PTR-91 with wood buttstock and handguard for sale on page 32. Suddenly, the PTR has caught my interest since I'm a sucker for this rifle with wood furniture. Before seeing the PTR, I was actively looking for one of the cast stainless "1 of 500" Century Limited Edition CETMEs, but watched one of these sell on Gunbroker for $800 + shipping yesterday. Before that, the last Century LE sold for around $735 + shipping IIRC. So perhaps these prices are a sign of things to come and the thought of spending just $200 more for a new rifle with the look I want is becoming a more attractive proposition. Newer is better right? Sometimes.

My question is this. How does the PTR stack up against the Century LE CETME? I've read nothing bad about the LE and the consensus seems to be that this is the best version of this rifle that Century produced (excluding the early Portuguese made rifles Century sold). On the other hand, I've heard both good and bad about the PTR, though not specifically the wood furniture model, though I assume it is like any of their other models with just the wood being the differentiator. I know PTR now offers a lifetime warranty on all their models, but I'm curious if they have better quality control now and have worked out their issues.

I guess a third option would be for me to find an earlier JLD version of the PRT-91 and slap some wood on it, but that would cost more than the current PTR with wood being sold by CDNN.
    Last edited by 85GTS; 05-17-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Veteran
    The bad part about any CETME from Century is that its a coin toss whether it is good out of the box or it will be a problem for ya. Many people have had both sides of these experiences. Ultimately I chose the PTR route and added the wood furniture that I purchased from www.robertrtg.com. May have cost more but I am glad I did it this way because I have never yet had a problem with the PTR.

PTR also has a lifetime warranty on their rifles, so if something goes wrong, you have someone to help you.

Gun Cleaning Products for the Discriminating Shooter - www.deweyrods.com

If you can find an older Cast Century Rifle that you know runs well then yes get it. other wise I say go with the PTR. That being said PTR has had their problems over the years (cracked trunions & Bolts) but they do seem to back up their warranty, best of all is a used HK91 if you can swing it. (2k)

The thing I like about the HK rifle is it will be a investment, (rifle will hold it's value) in 5 years time you can sell it and get what you payed and more. (if you want to)

BTW I hear the wood PTR is putting on these 91 clones is so so and you may have to refinish them to get the look you like. If you get the PTR please post some pictures of it so all can see what they are shipping these days.

Good Luck

HDH.
    Last edited by hansellhd; 05-17-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Alot of my friends are wanting to get into the Cetme/HK/PTR game and I want to be able to recommend the PTR. So, if you get one (especially it its one of the newer guns), please give us a thorough run down on how it performs.

Thanks!!!

New Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by nodott View Post
    The bad part about any CETME from Century is that its a coin toss whether it is good out of the box or it will be a problem for ya. Many people have had both sides of these experiences. Ultimately I chose the PTR route and added the wood furniture that I purchased from www.robertrtg.com. May have cost more but I am glad I did it this way because I have never yet had a problem with the PTR.
    Did you have to do any fitting of the robertrtg wood set to your PTR or was it a drop-in fit?

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTS View Post
    Did you have to do any fitting of the robertrtg wood set to your PTR or was it a drop-in fit?
    Why we wait on nodott I can answer that. It will slip on like a glove.

PTR on the bottom.

The A3 will fit nicely too.

Last edited by hansellhd; 05-17-2012 at 07:50 PM.

really nice look for the ptr. is that a millet scope on it?
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

New Recruit
    VERY nice Hansellhd...did you replace the polymer trigger group on your PTR with a steel group?

Since I already have nice set of wood, I can get the PTR GI with the plastic green stocks for less than the wood version. Then just replace the plastic set with my wooden set. Going to order one now and just get the Century LE out of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62guy View Post
    really nice look for the ptr. is that a millet scope on it?
    Thanks, yes Millet.