Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ejector too low

Ejector too low

Did what yall said and took out the ejector with the material added to the rear and put a new untouched one in.This one is a new sheetmetal job from RTG.Hopefully you can see in the pic that its way too low,doesnt even make it into the bolt face at all.Prob 3/16" or so from the top of the slot.As far as I can see the lower could be shimmed just a little,but it would never make up for all that the ejector needs.Threw in some pics of what I have even the nubs on the bottom of the receiver,maybe someone has an idea of whats goin on here.With the rifle completly together you can push the front of the lower up maybe a 16th or so.I had the inside of the trigger box shimmed and took those out (they were 2.10") just to see if that would let it come up and it was no help.I also have the complete Cetme lower and the ejector height is the same.Swapping the two lowers makes NO change at all.Looks to me that the lower height may be the prob.Need help from the pros,help please.Lower 2.jpgLower 6.jpgLower 5.jpgLower 3.jpgLower 4.jpgLower 1.jpgLower 7.jpgLower 8.jpg
    Molon Labe

THere is a fellow on AR15.com with a PTR91 having a similar problem with ejector height. From his description the rifle starts out fine then after 3 mags starts having ejection problems. Last night he noticed that the front of the lower (that slips over the mag block) was slipping down about 1/8" in front while he was shooting, dropping the ejector too low to work.

Mine starts out jamming.The front of the lower you can push up only a 1/16" or so.Either way it doesnt make up for the ejector being as low as it is.
    Molon Labe

I'm curious, have you tried removing the trigger pack from the lower and holding it up against the tabs under the receiver then looking through the ejection port to see where the ejector falls in the bolt head?
    The photos aren't very clear but it looks like your block has been modified. Any chance it was lowered?

just went down and did that,holding the trigger pack on the tabs didnt chng anything.Its still too low.Bought rifle from 2nd,3rd or whatever hand owner,hard to say who did what.
    Molon Labe

If placing the trigger pack up against the tabs (without a lower holding it down) still didn't get the ejector up high enough to engage a cartridge in the bolt head it would indicate that the receiver tabs were too long. I have a hard time figuring how that would have happened on a PTR rifle.

I dug through some photos I had and found one of a trigger pack resting against the tabs.

Cem, Do you have a way to measure the overall height of the receiver from the bottom of the front tab to the top of the receiver? And then from the tab to the bottom of the bolt carrier? Even if your tabs were ground completely off you wouldn't be that low. Your pictures above show that the fcg stand off tabs are already pretty short. My thinking is that you have a receiver overall height problem, with the extra height coming from that section of the receiver below the rails, and possibly from being a bit to wide from the bolt carrier up. If so, those dimensions will tell. Also look at the carrier inside the receiver and see how much tolerance you have above it in the recoil spring guide tunnel at the top. It appears there is some excessive room between the carrier and the receiver right at the fold that makes up the top recoil guide tunnel.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

If you do have the ability to measure it, (6" caliper will work), it needs to be no more than 2.247" from the bottom of the front tab to the top of the receiver, outside dimensions. At a point between the tabs it needs to be 2.185" to 2.222", and from the bottom of the mag well housing to the top, again outside, should be 3.922 to 3.960". From the bottom of the tab to the bottom of the bolt carrier should be .435" to .568". Anything greater than those dimensions will start bringing the FCG down too low.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

No.s are-From bottom of magwell to top of receiver is 3.890,from both front and rear tabs to top of receiver is 2.200,between the tabs to top of receiver is 2.171,front tab to bottom of bolt is 0.352,rear tab to bottom of bolt is 0.356,bottom of receiver to the top of that block they put in is 1.356.These dont seem to be that outta wack,what do yall think?
    Molon Labe

Quote Originally Posted by cem308 View Post
    No.s are-From bottom of magwell to top of receiver is 3.890,from both front and rear tabs to top of receiver is 2.200,between the tabs to top of receiver is 2.171,front tab to bottom of bolt is 0.352,rear tab to bottom of bolt is 0.356,bottom of receiver to the top of that block they put in is 1.356.These dont seem to be that outta wack,what do yall think?
    Then that shoots my theory all to pieces. Your ejector should not be setting that low given those measurements, unless your bolt carrier is extremely loose in the receiver. You should be able to set your FCG cage by itself up against the tabs and the ejector should be right up there. Measure the front just behind the cocking tube from bottom of trunnion to top of receiver. That should be 2.304" to 2.307". Also, slide the bolt carrier in backwards about half way, using the recoil spring guide barrel like a handle, and see how much up and down play you have in the bolt carrier. Something on the receiver has to be out of spec for two separate FCG's to both set that low.
    Last edited by bladeworks123; 06-21-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com