Thread: Yet Another Polymer Lower--the ATI Omni

Arkansas. up in the Northwest corner that is home of WalMart, Tyson Foods, and J.B.Hunt.

Yet Another Polymer Lower--the ATI Omni

The idea of molding a lower from plastic just keeps attracting manufacturers. Probably because the manufacturing cost including the materials is somewhere in the $ single digits.

http://www.americantactical.us/4590/detail.html

Keeping in mind that the company initials stand for "American Tactical Imports," I have been wondering if this one is made abroad. China? I doubt it, because of current restrictions on import of Chinese firearms. But A.T.I. does not make a point of stating (anywhere I could find) "Proudly Made in the U.S.A."

AIM Surplus is selling the Omni complete lower assembly with an M4 style stock, and "standard lower parts kit" whatever that might mean. Steel fcg instead of plastic? I would hope, but probably not. $119.95 from AIM, which is $10 less than the mfrs. suggested retail.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1Omni15

As a side note, AIM still has the DS Arms normal aluminum mil-spec lowers pretty reasonable, $76.95.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...iver&groupid=6

That is up $1.95 from yesterday, btw. Also, just $3 higher at $79.95, Aero Precision, Spikes Tactical, and R Guns lowers, although the Aero is the only one currently in stock. And wow! their Surplus Arms lower at $59.95 appears to finally be back in stock.

At these prices for aluminum, plastic just does not appeal to me so much.
    Caution, tipping point approaching. Stand by, please.

I have a couple of ar's. both in 308. The 5.56 round holds no interest to me. The idea of an aluminum reciever is still not to my likeing and I doubt that it will ever be. A good weapon is built out of steel and that's what I have to say about it. Just my two cents YMMV. And that's ok. A plastic lower just ain't going to be found in my safe end of that.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Well it's no secret by now I'm no fan of plastic, (excuse me polymer) either. Many reliable weapons platforms using it, and it has it's place I suppose, but so far that isn't a place I need to worry about going to. And I'm like you 7.62 I would love to have a steel lower for my AR-10's. Someday, I plan to do it.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by bladeworks123 View Post
    Well it's no secret by now I'm no fan of plastic, (excuse me polymer) either. Many reliable weapons platforms using it, and it has it's place I suppose, but so far that isn't a place I need to worry about going to. And I'm like you 7.62 I would love to have a steel lower for my AR-10's. Someday, I plan to do it.
    When and if you do please let me, or us, know about it. The idea of a milled or cnc cut or however it could be done, lower with the end result of building a piston type ar on a steel lower with a nice heavy fluted stainless steel twenty or so inch barrel. Well you get the idea. Didn't mean to take over the thread. Sorry.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Imperial Marine Stormtrooper
    looks just like the plum crazy to me. Wish i could see a pic of the magwell
    i have a couple and they work fine for range toys - not a chance i would use one for serious use, but for 22 builds meh

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62guy View Post
    When and if you do please let me, or us, know about it. The idea of a milled or cnc cut or however it could be done, lower with the end result of building a piston type ar on a steel lower with a nice heavy fluted stainless steel twenty or so inch barrel. Well you get the idea. Didn't mean to take over the thread. Sorry.
    There are a few companies that make machined AR lowers/uppers, but they are still billet aluminum.

Can the Polymer lowers go through metal detectors like Glocks can?

Just kidding, just kidding, don't throw anything

I was thinking about getting a .460 Rowland Carbine from 460Rowland.com, They are built on GWACS lowers. I'm not an AR guy, mostly due to the 556/223 round does not excite me, I never really thought about the polymer lower not holding up....

From GWACS website: "Longer life, nylon 6 resists impacts and wear better than aluminum" Sounds like a believable statement to me.
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." - Thomas Jefferson

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." - Wendell Phillips

“Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.” William Penn

My aluminum recievers will still be around and working fine, long after I am gone
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible