Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CETME Magazine Issues

New Recruit Private

CETME Magazine Issues

OK. I have two steel CETME magazines and two Aluminum G3 magazines. Only one of each type actually feeds in my rifle, the other two fail to feed the round into the chamber. I've had to mark the working magazines because the non-functioning one look exactly the same! What the heck is going on?

I am not one of the Cetme experts and you should be hearing from them. I was curious if you are sure that the steel mags are Cetme, not HK/G3 steel mags? I gave up on the HK/G3 types in my Cetmes
    and now only use Cetme mags, made life alot easier IMO. I do know from owning many mag fed guns that every so often you will get a bad mag, particulary buying used stuff. Now I will turn
    you over to the guys that really know the Cetmes
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    OK. I have two steel CETME magazines and two Aluminum G3 magazines. Only one of each type actually feeds in my rifle, the other two fail to feed the round into the chamber. I've had to mark the working magazines because the non-functioning one look exactly the same! What the heck is going on?
    You can strip the mags, replace the springs and follower, file the notch so that the catch will latch consistently, but at somewhere between $1.00 and $5.00 each, it's hard not to just buy em 20 at a time and discard any that don't work without further fuss. You don't do that with $15-30 mags, but G3 mags are literally that available and cheap. CETME mags cost more and are a bit harder to come by, but a properly built rifle should be able to use either set of mags interchangeably with the oddball G3 mag that needs some filing to get it to latch.

Where the height of the follower comes into play, you have to file on the rifle to correct it. If you are building a rifle, that's easy to do while its still just a naked receiver. With an existing rifle, you are going to have to tape up the finish and take a little metal off (or add shim steel to the front or back of the magazine well) to make the magazine able to sit where it needs to for the bolt to strip a round and push it into the chamber.

R
    Mangler of loose parts and perfectly good parts kits

In all likelihood it's the distance from the side notch of the mag to the top of the cartridge that's off a tad but could also be just a mag lip (or maybe both) bent in too far - holding the top round down too much. A third possibility is the spring is weaker in one mag than the other. If the other measurements are the same try swapping the spring from a working mag to the non-working mag to eliminate it as a cause.

If the bolt can't strip a round out of the mag you'll either have to spread the feed lips open a smidgen or raise the mag to give it some tooth.

Got a pic of the mag catch on the rifle?
    COG# 7K

For what it is worth Cetme mags ($7.95) are actually cheaper than the Hk/G3 mags at SOG; $8.95 at J&G ($4.95 for HK/G3 at J&G). I bought a bunch of the Hk/G3 mags when I first got my Cetmes and had to
    fight to get them to lockin, or release. Not a lick of problems with the actual Cetme mags. For the price I just went with the Cetme Mags and threw the HK/G3 mags in a box somewhere.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Hawaii, Big Island. Middle of nowhere in the middle of nowhere. :)
    I have one of the older cast stainless steel receivers from Century and most G3 mags won't even seat in it. Even the CETME mags I have are a really tight fit and have to be slapped hard to seat. Filed down the tabs that stop the mag on the magwell and now everything I have works fine: easy it, easy out, flawless feeding so far. They look goofy have filing like that but I repainted mine with rustoleum. :shrug: Looks a lot better than I thought it would as the flat black paint almost perfectly matched the finish on the rec

The one mag where I filed down the lip the mag catch catches on rides too low and doesn't feed reliably. YMMV, but that is how I figured out that my mag well is probably slightly too long.

I wouldn't have bothered since the CETME mags worked well enough except the HK alloy mags are sooooo nice and light. Couldn't resist. Once the first one was perfect I realized how much easier it is both me and the gun if I don't have to slap the mags in each time.

Maybe feed lips problem...use a very small cresent wrench to adjust them.
    If its to bright....call ELLIOT LUCAS.!

New Recruit Private
    Thanks guys! Does anyone have any pics of the where to file on the magazines and/or mag well?

Senior Veteran
    Hawaii, Big Island. Middle of nowhere in the middle of nowhere. :)
    Sure. Here is a quick snapshot of it. Found one I haven't repainted, yet.

The line is the angle I held a flat file at - held tight up against the side of the mag to file down the 3 shelves as evenly as possible. With my rifle I needed to file the front down more than the rear to match the angle of my mag well. I'm assuming this is because my receiver is wonky so yours may be different. I just noticed that the front of the mag would hit the mag well before the rear had a chance to latch on the mag catch. Filing the front down a bit more solved the issue and the mags slide in and out easily.

I also put a circle in the image where I filed a part of the side of the mag down a bit - but on the opposite side of the mag from this picture. You'll see the spot on your mags where the mag catch itself is grinding against the mag on its way in. I filed this a little flatter and gave it a shallower angle so it would push the mag catch aside a little better. It doesn't take much.

mag-file-sm.jpg

I should also add that I haven't used my rifle enough to know if this has cause serious problems that I just haven't run into, yet. All tests I've done indicate that they work perfectly, though. They're easy to slide in, mag catch holds them in solidly without me having to slap the bottom of the mags, they feed well and its easy release them. I just went slow the file and checked each mag many times as I went to make sure I didn't take off too much metal.
    Last edited by clshade; 08-11-2012 at 12:22 AM.