Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cetme Century Arms

New Recruit Private

Smile Cetme Century Arms

This is my first post on your site. The century arms cetme seems to get a bad rap on a lot of the reviews. Is this founded or not. Or is it luck draw on the rifle you happen to end up with? Thanks for your time and consideration.

I don't know that they are all bad, I've heard tales of a few that were good right out of the box! Luck of the draw for sure.

I give CAI credit for the many milsurp rifles they have imported and made available at reasonable prices for us to buy. Their bad rep. comes in their builds. Some of it is justified, but they have built
    some decent rifles too. I have 5 CAI built rifles (2 are Cetmes) and they all function flawlessly. Other have had many problems with some of them. I would only say check one out throughly before
    you buy and/or buy from a dealer that backs what they sell. Just my .02 pennies worth
    Last edited by Buckshot; 08-22-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Many more good one's than bad I think. You mostly only hear about the bad one's.

Almost nothing that can't be fixed though.
    "Without gunpowder there can be no freedom!"
    -German-American proverb during the War of Independence

COG# 1961

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis61 View Post
    Many more good one's than bad I think. You mostly only hear about the bad one's.

Haha truth! Well if you either have the time to wait / extra money to spend or you can do it yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Otis61 View Post

Definitely far more good ones than bad, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease (and all the internet attention). After I bought mine, all my shooting buddies fell in love with it as I had, and over the years I've helped them buy probably 10 or so and all of them have been great shooters right out of the box. I've never seen another one with as good of fit/finish as mine in person, and only seen a handful of cast receivers in the local gunshows, but they were all shooters with acceptable gaps and no major issues that couldn't be ironed out by adjusting the gap with rollers/LP etc.

I'm not saying that CAI doesn't build some lemons (read around for a bit and you'll find plenty). But I wouldn't say it's just a crapshoot or a 50/50 shot. From the ones I've handled personally at gunshows and shops, I'd say 1 out of 10 will require massaging. Just arm yourself with info before you purchase and you can keep from getting a lemon.
    COA #106121 COG #1000 NRA #148440199

Copenhagen is my anti-drug!

Texas sew n' sew

I agree for the most part about the percentages probably falling into the "good" range, but every one I've seen personally has had fairly major problems. I've only actually held around 6 of them in my hands, but they were all bad.

You can look at it that you only hear about the "bad" ones on the net and there is a lot of truth to it. But the other side of it has a lot to do with the fact that so many were bought, shot once and then put away never having been inspected by the owner. I see posts pretty often here and on other forums where someone says "I bought this xx years ago, shot it and put it away. Now I've read that the bolts were ground, checked mine and it's bad". The number of "bad" ones rises with the education of the owners.

I used to be an optimist until I realized how bad things really are!

Quote Originally Posted by dogwarden View Post
    This is my first post on your site. The century arms cetme seems to get a bad rap on a lot of the reviews. Is this founded or not. Or is it luck draw on the rifle you happen to end up with? Thanks for your time and consideration.
    Our site? Now it's YOUR site too! Welcome!

Always inspect the rifle before you buy. Ugly welds are one thing, even ground bolt heads can be cured, but you should follow the guidance of our senior members on checking the cocking tube gap and bolt gap before you buy. If mags cynch in place firmly and the ejector lever is sitting in the groove of the bolt head as you view through the ejection port with the bolt group held back via the handle, chances are you've covered the big stuff and anything else that's wrong (cockeyed triple frames, slightly too loose or too tight a mag well, slightly bent cocking tubes, worn FCG and BCG parts) can generally be fixed with a bit of sheet metal messaging.

There are many sages to call upon on this site to help you. I'm mostly here for comic relief.

R
    Mangler of loose parts and perfectly good parts kits

Senior Veteran
    This is what I tell people. If you're buying a Century, I would have at least another $200 in cash ready to spend on fixing it unless you're already a really handy gun guy (then $100).

If you want it done right the first time without any bullshit, just get a PTR-91.

For the record, I went with a limited edition century cetme which I thought would mitigate my chances of having to spend the cash, but it did not. However, now that the money is spent the gun functions perfectly.

I was a dealer for several years.
    I bought and sold many Century guns over the years. for the Cetme/G3 I guess I sold over 50+ of them. I don't remember ever having someone tell me they were having a problem with them.

When most people have a choice they will buy the Century gun almost every time. It is much cheaper for the initial cost. Even if they had problems the cost of fixing it was usually still much cheaper.

Many people will not or cannot afford the cost of the more expensive gun.

I have only sent 1 rifle back to Century in 30+ years and it was the Galil AR. It was a recall. I got another one in a few days. I have several guns that are not Century made, but I never had a problem with buying the century guns.

The bottom line is if you have reservations on Century guns, then just don't buy them. It is that easy.

Like someone said, we usually only hear about guns that are having problems.

ron
    Last edited by Planning; 08-23-2012 at 12:09 PM.