Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PTR-91 GI Review

PTR-91 GI Review

Picked up a new PTR-91 GI mid month and here is my report.

I purchased from Atlantic arms, good service and quick. Got my rifle not 4 days after order went out. Cleaned it, checked bolt gap and out of the box it sat at .036" iirc.
    Took it out and ran about 60 rounds through it with only 1 problem that was ammo related and I'll get to that in a bit. When I had picked up this rifle I just got done shooting 1000 yard matches up at Camp Perry for nationals. So shooting at 50 and 100 yards was nothing, The gun is accurate, every 2 and 3 shot group was 1 MOA or better off the bags. I've gone back and forth on what MBR to get as my SHTF rifle to cap off the other "carbine" types I own. Lets face it .308 rules, I've never seen a training video where they are doing double and triple taps with a .308 like they do with .223. .30 cal is just a show stopper. But its not good for street fighting and long gun fights which is why the military prefers the smaller more compact 5.56. ANYWAYS

I was torn between a M1A and a HK clone, I went the route of the PTR-91 GI because of some overall things I believe in as an accomplished rifleman and over all competitive shooter.

#1 No small parts!...I can field strip the PTR-91 in 5 seconds and so could my mother and so long as you put the cross pins in the stock like you should you wont loose any parts. M1A does not have that going for it at ALL.

#2 reliability....I know PTR had some problems with the GI from the start and only time will prove that this is as good as a HK, I'll have spare parts around anyways but I think this thing will outlast AK's even.

#3 Cheap mags...50 mags for this thing cost the same as 1 or 2 US made M1A magazines.

#4 ammo, I fed this rifle some really bottom of the barrel surplus ammo I had around. I mean stuff that looked like it rolled around in a truck bed for 10 years. All factory or military stuff, I had 1 blown primer/split case/stuck case because the bullet may have gotten shoved back into the case due to a weak neck. Got the case out. checked everything and ran a full magazine through it no problem.

If you are sitting on the fence about getting one I wouldn't wait much longer, prices are good, ammo is out there if nothing else buy the magazines NOW and get the rifle in another month. The only things I don't like is the lack of the paddle magazine release and the windage screw walking out all the time on the sight. Now to buy a port buffer, make up a 2 point tactical sling and do some hard training with it so it can earn its spot in the ready rack next to the others.

Double check your bolt gap now that you've shot and cleaned it. Make sure to dry fire the hammer to make sure everything is seated. Spec for the gap is .004"~.020". You probably had some crud in the trunnion when you go the .036"

Arkansas. up in the Northwest corner that is home of WalMart, Tyson Foods, and J.B.Hunt.
    Glad to read a good review. PTR has had some problems with shallow flutes and extraction, IIRC. It would be nice if they had those licked.

I have a PTR built a few years before when the company was still JLD-something. Mine has had no issues (admittedly has not been fired much) and the main reason I bought it is because of the price of the HK-91 I really wanted. (Had one that I let go but that's another story)

To me, what clones are all about is providing us economically challenged types the opportunity to own a wider selection of the goodies. I'm grateful to companies like PTR.
    Caution, tipping point approaching. Stand by, please.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchstoner View Post
    Glad to read a good review. PTR has had some problems with shallow flutes and extraction, IIRC. It would be nice if they had those licked.

I have a PTR built a few years before when the company was still JLD-something. Mine has had no issues (admittedly has not been fired much) and the main reason I bought it is because of the price of the HK-91 I really wanted. (Had one that I let go but that's another story)

To me, what clones are all about is providing us economically challenged types the opportunity to own a wider selection of the goodies. I'm grateful to companies like PTR.
    Wilson barrels had the shallow flutes and 10 or sometimes 11 flutes instead of 12. Later Thompson barrels have 12 flutes, though earlier ones that still seam to work pretty well have 11. They messed with various diameters to try, presumably, to make the cost of adding those flutes cheaper. I don't know what process Thompson uses, whether it's EDM or they CNC machine them in, it's never been revealed. I suspect it's being machined since the cost of doing this via EDM is mostly in the electrode that has to be replaced after so many uses, it takes only a few minutes of machine time to cut one whole flute at a time.

I have a later PTR "match" barrel that has 11 flutes that are just slightly wider than the flutes in the RCM barrel and should have the same "flute area" as a result. Why 11? Heck if I know, but some of the best barrels PTR has been making are of this type. I should know soon enough if it is as good at digesting mixed quality ammo as the RCM.

R
    Mangler of loose parts and perfectly good parts kits

I own one of the frist 100 GI's, purchased over 2 years ago, I have over 1000 rounds on it with no problems at all. Just keep an eye on the Bolt Gap.
    Enjoy it.

Fun Gun to dress up.

HDH.
    Last edited by hansellhd; 08-27-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Yeah I'm not used to metrics as you can tell I meant .36mm for the bolt gap. what is it that wears out that causes the bolt gap to change? the trunion, rollers or bolt? I know i'm gonna get a complete parts kit from RTG with rollers but didn't know if a complete bolt would be worth while as well.

Typically when the loss of gap is very quick it is the barrel sliding forward inside the trunnion. Regular long term wear comes from the impingement of the rollers against the front of the bolt roller window, the angles on the locking piece shoulder and trunnion ramp angles.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    Yeah I'm not used to metrics as you can tell I meant .36mm for the bolt gap. what is it that wears out that causes the bolt gap to change? the trunion, rollers or bolt? I know i'm gonna get a complete parts kit from RTG with rollers but didn't know if a complete bolt would be worth while as well.
    Just pick up a HK locking piece and +2 rollers. GTG

You can't get the butt stock off a PTR-91 in 5 seconds, let alone field strip it. It is easier to strip than an M1A, but come on!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    You can't get the butt stock off a PTR-91 in 5 seconds, let alone field strip it. It is easier to strip than an M1A, but come on!

LOL, I am bored and love a challenge, so I had my wife run the stop watch and time me....5.283 seconds to have the bolt carrier assembly in my hand... But that was starting with no magazine in the rifle, rifle in hand, and my safety glasses on....it can be done.

Pop two pins, jerk the buttstock off, and pull the charging handle hard...FCG falls away and the bolt carrier fires right out the back.

8.656 seconds to re-assemble. 3 minutes for application of the band aid.

Film at 11:00....

BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com