Thread: Persian (Iranian) 30-06 & 8mm ammo?

Senior Veteran

Persian (Iranian) 30-06 & 8mm ammo?

Well,I posted this already but put it in "Reloading" section by mistake. Old age and not paying attention, I guess!
    Anyway, quite a while back, I asked about the Iranian .30M2 ball being imported from Iran, whether it was worth a hoot, or not. Boy, I got turned every direction but loose! Dealing with Iran, etc. etc........ Well, I've got a Czech VZ24 in the works, so am gonna ask same question: Has anyone out here shot enuf of this stuff to give a fair 'Consumer Report' on this ammo? I really don't need another blistering about politics, I got a good enuf one last time with the 30-06 question, which I never did get an honest 'consumer report' on (still want to know). Now I'm asking about the 8mm from same place. Anyone out there shot enuf of this ammo to make an accurate judgement?

I am not sure why you are focused on the Iranian ammo? The little I have seen has been corrosive 30-06/8mm and both looked fairly rough. I doubt many have used it. There are other sources
    of fairly cheap good milsurp 30-06/8mm ammo that are more commonly used. When I ask about ammo I want to hear about all reliable posibilities. I have thousands of milsurp rounds in both and might
    suggest other sources if you want, but have never shot the Iranian stuff. Nothing on politics, just trying to help.
    p.s. the Czechs made some really nice guns, good luck on getting it.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 10-23-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Buckshot: Thanks for a non-political honest answer! Not really focused on Persian(Iranian)
    ammo, per say, just looking to find reasonably affordable 30-06 and, now, possibly, 8mm ammo before it becomes impossible to get. Literally and price-wise! J&G has the Korean for @$.60 a round, if you buy 1,000 (plus shipping) and they won't guarantee if you'll get "KA" headstamp (corrosive) or "PS" (non-corrosive). Shoulda bought a whole bunch more cans some years ago when it was $75.00 a can, but............??
    Anyway, just hoping someone out there has shot enuf of it to give a 'consumer report' whether it's worth a hoot, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa59HD View Post
    Buckshot: Thanks for a non-political honest answer! Not really focused on Persian(Iranian)
    ammo, per say, just looking to find reasonably affordable 30-06 and, now, possibly, 8mm ammo before it becomes impossible to get. Literally and price-wise! J&G has the Korean for @$.60 a round, if you buy 1,000 (plus shipping) and they won't guarantee if you'll get "KA" headstamp (corrosive) or "PS" (non-corrosive). Shoulda bought a whole bunch more cans some years ago when it was $75.00 a can, but............??
    Anyway, just hoping someone out there has shot enuf of it to give a 'consumer report' whether it's worth a hoot, or not.
    Right now CMP is the best deal for non-corrosive milsurp 30-06. Check this thread I posted out - http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...CMP-30-06-ammo.
    They still have it in stock. I try to get my milsurp 8mm in brass and on stripper clips - I saw this deal yesterday and thought it looked pretty good. $209.40 for 900rds--
    http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo-...pper-clip.html Note: Little older, but so will be the Iranian stuff, but sealed should be in good shape and store for
    many more years. I am not sure where the Iranian stuff is coming from as we have not imported from them in over 30 years, maybe found stored in a warehouse from years ago??
    Note: I like the brass 8mm, but have bought tins of steel cased too. I called SOG, if a person orders the full case it will come sealed in a tin, but won't come with the wood crate.
    They will give you the wood crate if you pay for shipping it separate. The reason they take the tin out of the crate is to keep it within shipping weight limits.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 10-23-2012 at 02:37 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Right now CMP is the best deal for non-corrosive milsurp 30-06. Check this thread I posted out - http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...CMP-30-06-ammo.
    For what it's worth, I just bought 1,000 rounds of 30-06 from CMP. Greek. All were good rounds. Shot about 40 rounds through my M1 last week. No issues. I'm going to purchase more, soon.

Proud owner of a CMP Springfield Armory M1 Garand

I have not fired any Persian amm suprlus but I have had issues with most of the middle eastern surplus ammo that I tride. This stuff is 1950's vintage and probably spent a lot of time in thrid world storage. There was some nice corrosive Yugo around for a while but I don't see it anymore. Widners has some sniper grade (their words, not mine) at a decent price.

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?i...dir=18|830|854

For .30-06 you should use Greek HXP from CMP. I have fired lots of it and continue to do so. I bought mine when it was $50 a can. It is first rate non-orrosive ammo that performs very consistenly.

97th Signal Bn, 7th Army Main Communications, Germany, 1960-63