Thread: German Shepherd Hearing protection while shooting?

German Shepherd Hearing protection while shooting?

So I have a 4 1/2 month old German Shepherd pup that I have taken shooting with me twice. He's absolutely not afraid of the gunfire and sits right by my side while shooting. My concern is that his ears stand straight up, unlike my old lab who's ears flopped over giving some protection. Logic would say that if the sound bothered him or hurt his ears he would run away or stand back, but he is super attached to me, so I hope he's not just suffering through it so that he can be close to me. Does anyone here have any experience with dogs who's ears stand up and shooting? I don't want to ruin his hearing!

Thanks, Dan
    Odin3.5Months.jpg
    Last edited by OrygunKid; 12-03-2012 at 01:37 AM.

I've seen a product called "Mutt Muffs" that cost about $90. I think I could make some sort of hearing protection myself if need be, but then how will he hear me if I give him a command when he is wearing it????... Hmmmm.

Super Moderator
    This is not a smartass answer, but ask your vet. I understand your concerns. I would have the same question. Nice pup you have there. I love shepards but the wife doesn't. Had a few around the house when I was a kid.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    To old to fight, To slow to run, But I can still shoot!!!

COG#111

Great photo.. The Classic German Shepherd Truely the best dog in the World

Can't say about hearing protection from personel expereince. But with what we know now it would be a good Idea to get some dog hearing protection.

I had two pure Sheps, both male and female. They seemed to be interested in shooting at first and the female whould stand close as I shot. She would try to grab ejected shells with her teeth. Latter she would go back to the truck and go to sleep
    The male would be interested at first and then he would just go sit down behind us.
    By the way my Irish Setter would have a total breakdown when anyone shot firearms or even showed her one. She knew what they smelled like and was afraid. The same at 4th of July, she would turn to jello. I know it hurt her ears, after we shot she would shake head shake hard as if she was trying clear her ears after swiming. My dad said Setters must have far more delicate ears than Shepherds.
    Last edited by Norton; 12-03-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

GOOD Horse suppliers have foamies for horses ears (Mounted shooters and people training horses use them) and they would probably fit your GSD...may have to trim them a bit...they are basically like the "people" kind, just bigger...

I agree, talk to yor vet....

Miss my GSD, "SAM".....saved my ass once from two guys getting ready I know to rob my gunstore I had years and years ago....they came in to case the store and saw Sam, the 1911 on my hip, and QUICKLY changed their minds, I can just imagine they were thinking, shot and bit? No-Way!!!!!
    "Listen With Your Eyes"
    Wit, Grit, Courage and Determination

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the horse foamies, I think he would be pretty tolerant of something like that. He gets more shots soon too, so I will ask the vet and see what they say.

yeah lots of people at Knob Creek have the Mutt Muffs brand on the dogs.... another one is called "Dog Duffs"...... or maybe it was Duffles?

by the people who make Doggles.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.

Thanks sdk,
    I found the doggles website but only found goggles for dogs, maybe they don't make them anymore. I talked to my Vet and she said if he is fine with the noise it probably isn't hurting him, but she wasnt really sure. Went shooting this last weekend and I just left him tied up a ways behind us. I did put my regular ear muffs on him and he left them on for quite a while before he shook them off (just put them on upside down). They really didnt seem to bother him. I think I will modify a pair of ear muffs with elastic and a buckle similar to the "mutt-muffs", I just dont want to spend the $$ for the Mutt-muffs.

Senior Veteran Global Gunsmithing's Avatar
    they did not have ear muffs for the K9`s in the service, but leaving him tied and behind you is a good idea, hes either going to tolerate or not, handsome pup by the way,
    War Stories-A Tribute page
    http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82

"Ken's all tied up right now, call back later!"

Ive heard about those dog muffs before havn't heard much about them though. I have a couple dogs that all came from the same 2 parents one mainly looks like a german shepard but has the floppy lab ears and another one that looks like a german shepard pit bull and a few that look like rottweilers they all have floppy ears, all my dogs are ok shooting off the bat but except for the bull dog looking one he has tiny floppy ears I think its because his head is so big it makes his ears look small but at first he was scared BIG time of guns but it doesn't bother him any more after taking him out to shoot a couple times. Ive shot bolt actions to ak's to g3's with my dogs leashed to me and they seem fine at hearing when they try to listen for animals out in the country. I just try to get my dogs use to gun fire but I dont do it all the time. But when I shoot my 338 lapua and 50bmg I leave my dogs inside the house. Very good looking pup you got there.