Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More gear review Russian Army Sleeping pad

More gear review Russian Army Sleeping pad

As you guys know I post when I buy or use good or bad field gear.

Bought one of these Russian Army sleeping Pads. They are thick 1950's type canvas with a thick rubber bottom,
    russian sleeping pad.jpg

Went on a mountain camping trip last night next to the Shenandoah valley and the temps went down in the 20s with snow.

tent.jpgstar tannery 2.jpg

No problem with cold coming in from the ground and slept very comfortably.
    Better than the Air mattress
    I also used a slightly used USGI modular sleeping bag with a gore tex shell.
    It kept me very warm, but the multiple zippers were a pain in the butt' in the dark.
    Still a good value, the GORE TEX holds in your body heat
    Sleeping bag.jpg

Anyway The Ruskie pad is very heavy would be a great item for truck camping or a canoe trip but not for hiking

The Modern G.I. bag is worth it for the GORE TEX shell alone

By the way we took firearms and would have shot the Coyotes had they go close enough , so I am on topic
    Last edited by Norton; 03-02-2013 at 10:14 PM.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Where did you acquire that pad? I need one.

Quote Originally Posted by sevensixtytwo View Post
    Where did you acquire that pad? I need one.

Coleman's Military Surplus, LLC‎
    360 Klinger Road
    Millersburg, PA 17061
    (888) 478-7758

they are a good outfit

http://store.colemans.com/cart/russi...ed-p-2659.html
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

There is quite a few things I want on that site. Very cool.

Norton, it looks like it would take up the entire trunk of a car when you roll it up! LOL

I love the country side down that way, just beautiful. Thanks for the report and the pics.
    COG # 1066

Great photos, I need to get out camping again soon. Norton, I was thinking you might know what country this came from. I is a very big/heavy mattress/pad I bought several years ago from
    Centerfire System. It is military surplus, but I can't remember the country (pretty sure it was one of the former eastern bloc ones). Heavy rubber like material with a cloth like finish. I bought
    it for hunting in Colorado, but the weight ruled that out. I checked out that Coleman site, many things on it I want, thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

i'd like to know more about your tent. is that a side door entry?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Great photos, I need to get out camping again soon. Norton, I was thinking you might know what country this came from. I is a very big/heavy mattress/pad I bought several years ago from
    Centerfire System. It is military surplus, but I can't remember the country (pretty sure it was one of the former eastern bloc ones). Heavy rubber like material with a cloth like finish. I bought
    it for hunting in Colorado, but the weight ruled that out.!
    Does it hold air? If it does keep it for truck camping, it looks tough like it would not get a hole in it.

The crossed sword markings look to be Spanish Army. I have seen that symbol on Spanish Army ammo boxes (can someone confirm) The British use a broad arrow, the Swedes three crowns, French always have the manufacturers company name. The Germans write the manufacturers company name and a paragraph of care/use instructions.
    Most Warsaw pact surplus had no pre-Communist symbols.

I have a 1971 MADE IN SCOTLAND 'Loch Lomond' brand British Army air matress looks just like except it was a built in pillow.
    The pad weighs 8 or 9 lbs, way to heavy to carry. The US air matress is much lighter, but the Scottish pad could be used to patch a
    C 5A's tire

Quote Originally Posted by oramoc View Post
    i'd like to know more about your tent. is that a side door entry?
    It is a Marmot Aspen 2 I bought from Dicks on sale it has two side openings. It is roomy and you can change your clothing inside.
    Do not buy a tent that you cannot sit up and get your dry clothing on.
    (They do not make this exact model anymore but this is very close. Dicks makes special deal with this Marmot on tents.

http://www.backcountryedge.com/marmo...t-2p-2012.aspx

The other tent I use is a Big Agnes Lynx Pass 1, this is a small one man tent with a big door and plenyt of head room

http://www.campmor.com/big-agnes-lyn...son-tent.shtml
    Last edited by Norton; 03-03-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Does it hold air? If it does keep it for truck camping, it looks tough like it would not get a hole in it.

The crossed sword markings look to be Spanish Army. I have seen that symbol on Spanish Army ammo boxes (can someone confirm) The British use a broad arrow, the Swedes three crowns, French always have the manufacturers company name. The Germans write the manufacturers company name and a paragraph of care/use instructions.
    Most Warsaw pact surplus had no pre-Communist symbols.

I have a 1971 MADE IN SCOTLAND 'Loch Lomond' brand British Army air matress looks just like except it was a built in pillow.

The pad weighs 8 or 9 lbs, way to heavy to carry. The US air matress is much lighter, but the Scottish pad could be used to patch a
    C 5A's tire
    Yes, it will hold air. I don't think it has seen much if any use, the few stains are just from storage, etc. It has two air plugs. Yea, I think you could patch a 10 ply tire with it. I would guess easy 9-10 lbs.
    I will definately keep it for truck camping. I have a big box full of receipts, maybe I can find the one for it. I'll let you know if I find the receipt.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible