Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NASA to lasso asteroid, bring it closer

Senior Veteran

Unhappy NASA to lasso asteroid, bring it closer

File this in the "OMFG what in any universe makes them think this is a good idea" category.

"Nelson, who is chairman of the Senate science and space subcommittee, said Friday that President Barack Obama is putting $100 million in planning money for the accelerated asteroid mission in the 2014 budget that comes out next week. The money would be used to find the right small asteroid."

http://newyork.newsday.com/news/nati...says-1.5016414

Anyone else getting some shades of Lucifer's Hammer here? C'mon, we have a .gov that can't even track firearms and they want to go flinging asteroids closer to Earth.
    Last edited by Arkane; 04-05-2013 at 09:24 PM.

100 million bucks for this and he wants to cut my social security ?

Senior Veteran
    I actually think any funding for our space program is good right now. And playing with asteroids isn't a bad thing to be into.(JMHO) We have to get off of this rock sometime and getting further out into space puts us closer to that. At least it isn't some crazy social spending BS.

Let's see we are; Allowing Soviets to get away with flying armed aircraft through US airspace...showing restraint against North Korea instead of standing up and demonstrating that their threats are not intimidating anyone....Giving the Epyptian Muslim Brotherhood military aircraft, weapons and money,,,, Giving Iran a pass on their nuclear program development,,,,, arming Homeland Security for what is perceived to be an offensive stance against the American people,,,,, not taking a hard line against the atrocities being committed in Syria.

Hell, why not direct an asteroid at the planet? It's the least they can do at this point.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

Amazing that when I was in high school 44 years ago we went to the moon. One of the proudest moments in our nations history. The whole world was cheering our guys. We haven't been
    anywhere since. Now we are begging the Russians for space rides. So much was learned, new things developed and we stopped. We need to give our kids something to be excited about again.
    A reason for them to want to become scientists and explorers. I would rather see a massive push for a mars mission, but I guess this is about all we will get. Our government is giving billions to
    other countries/UN and getting nothing in return, no respect, no cooperation. Take that money and use it for our future.

Obama's budgets are meaningless, even the Democrats won't vote for them, so I doubt this means much anyway. Oh, they say some of the asteroids are extremely rich in valuable minerals
    and there is serious talk about trying to mine them. Maybe it will be a rock that lays a golden egg
    Last edited by Buckshot; 04-06-2013 at 12:06 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran

This isn't such a nutso thing to spend money on... if we had it. They are talking about a small asteroid, 25' diameter - that would burn up in the atmosphere like the Russian one did if it got out of hand. NASA could potentially learn how to control bigger ones - extinction sized rocks - from this, among other things. I'd sure rather they spent tax dollars on useful scientific research than funding the UN to come up with sneaky ways of implementing world wide gun control.

Unless they are only hiring ACORN workers to do the research, or should I say collect a paycheck!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jersurf101 View Post
    I actually think any funding for our space program is good right now. And playing with asteroids isn't a bad thing to be into.(JMHO) We have to get off of this rock sometime and getting further out into space puts us closer to that. At least it isn't some crazy social spending BS.
    We have never needed any new laws to govern decent law abiding citizens!

Just to enforce the old laws on the NEW ARRIVALS!

You guys also have to remember these asteroids have precious metals on them. We are talking gold and iron! There's gold in them thar asteroids!
    This will be the best security for maintaining our liberties. A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins.
    - Benjamin Franklin

When you need it and do not have it, you will be singing a different tune.

Gold in space and BS in the WH...I can understand the relationship between the two. Goodbye now.
    Joe
    COG#1453

if we're looking for gold and such, how about the moon? we haven't been there in a while. whatever we value here on earth, must be there as well. i don't know if this makes any sense, but if we had a permanent base up thier, it might make future space travel easier.
    no need for heavy booster rockets to blast things out of our atmosphere. but then again, keeping it supplied might be an issue.