Thread: New (to me) Colt New Service Revolver

New (to me) Colt New Service Revolver

A friend of mine who isn't that much of a firearm enthusiast was given a Colt New Service by someone who was even less of a firearms enthusiast. I bought it off my friend for a pretty good price. I mostly bought it because I'm always interested in older guns. I don't really know anything about these guns except that this is chambered in 45 Colt.

It seems to function just fine, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I sort of want to get it checked out first. Lord knows how long it's been since it's been fired or cleaned or even looked at for more than 15 minutes.

Here a few photos of the gun. Any further info y'all could give me on Colt New Services would be greatly appreciated.

thanks y'all

photo copy 2.jpgphoto copy.jpgphoto.jpg
    Texas.

I have never owned one, but like the looks and would love to have a Colt .45
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

My mother has one in 44-40. In SA all it needs is a stiff breeze to move the trigger and launch a round. DA it works fine, maybe around 8-10 pounds. They are supposed to be difficult to work on. I've read that few gunsmiths really understand them. I've had no problems shooting my moms with black powder or cowboy type loads. The action seemed normal. I would like to know if your SA is a hair trigger too. Moms might have been worked on or the sear just worn. Good looking gun, Buck.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Thanks for all the info. My SA trigger pull is actually on the heavier side, probably around five pounds? I went to the COLT website and put in the serial number and it said the manufacture date was 1918. Maybe the date certain models were made affects build quality ie. wartime vs non wartime? I can't wait to shoot it.

Also from what I gathered from your response is that full powered 45 colt loads probably aren't the best idea through the gun?
    Texas.

You should check around, but I believe they are a strong action. I was just being careful and have not checked their reputation or history for strength. 1918 - cool!
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!