Thread: DO any of you own a CMP M1 Garand "Drill Rifle" or "Ceremonial Rifle" ?

DO any of you own a CMP M1 Garand "Drill Rifle" or "Ceremonial Rifle" ?

Alright,....

I got a smoking good deal on a older "Parts kit" that came with a spare barrel, for a M1 Garand from an acquaintance, And then advertised on another sight for a receiver,... As luck would have it I accidentally found two,... One is really pretty nice, the other one has been around the block a few times, with very little finish and some light external pitting. Everybody seems to be out of parts kits so a friend of mine suggested I find a a Drill rifle (or "Ceremonial Rifle") and get some of the parts needed off of it,.... break it down, and use the best parts for the good receiver, and everything else for the not so nice one.

Do any of you have any of these rifles ?.... If so I would like to talk with you on what was all done to them.... I know there is a steel rod welded in the barrel, and the gas lock / screw is tack welded into the gas chamber,...... So,... what is your experience ? Or maybe you might want to sell a parts kit or Drill/Ceremonial Rifle......

Sound off men,.... lets here what you have to say.

(Thanks)
    A Sinner saved by Grace,... EPH. 2: 8-9

Senior Veteran
    IMO a drill rifle for parts isnt a good idea, there will not be hardly anything salvageable for what it will cost you
    As far as receivers CMP sells reparked Garand receivers for $195
    I have built several Garands and know its cheaper to buy a complete Garand than to build one unless you have spare parts laying around.
    Last edited by Orlando; 05-09-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    IMO a drill rifle for parts isnt a good idea, there will not be hardly anything salvageable for what it will cost you
    As far as receivers CMP sells reparked Garand receivers for $195
    I have built several Garands and know its cheaper to buy a complete Garand than to build one unless you have spare parts laying around.
    Same here, I had much more than I should have in a rebuild, when I could have bought a very nice Service Grade from CMP for much less. Other than a few bolts, some receivers, a few pretty
    well used barrels and some minor new parts I have not seen much available in Garand parts. Saying that I can understand if you just want the challenge of doing it and are not to concerned about
    the cost.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

The problem is, I already have a spare receiver and Barrel, And I can't find a decent deal on a trigger group, Sights or Op Rod.... Add to that the cost of the follower and clip well assembly and the 3 pieces of wood and hardware..... and it adds up quick,.... Unless you guys have some Garand parts you would like to part with at a killer price for a fun project / Budget build ?

Senior Veteran
    As you are finding out Garand parts are pretty expensive. You may be better off selling the receiver and barrel and buy a complete Service Grade from CMP for $625
    Are you also going to pay a gunsmith to twist on barrel and check headspace or do you have the tools to do it yourself?
    If you are still set on doing it yourself PM me a list of parts that you need, I may be able to help with a few parts

Maybe someone will come up with something for you. At one time I almost bought a CMP rack grade just for the parts, but see now they are listing them as sold out. Who made ur receiver??
    I don't think you mentioned if you had the bolt?

Orlando last post wasn't up when I did this one, but I am still curious on the questions I asked. Orlando is more likely to have parts than me, but I might have a couple of
    things. I agree with Orlando if you want a nice Garand that has been guaged and checked out it would be cheaper to sell what you have and buy a Service Grade
    thru CMP.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 05-09-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    I have enough spare parts to assemble 9 more Garands, I do not want to get rid of a complete parts set but I might be able to help with a few parts
    I do have a some parts in excess that I can let go , they are unissued USGI

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    Are you also going to pay a gunsmith to twist on barrel and check headspace or do you have the tools to do it yourself?
    If you are still set on doing it yourself PM me a list of parts that you need, I may be able to help with a few parts
    Thanks for the question,... this isn't my first rodeo with Garands,... I use to build them from Sarco kits back in the late 70's early 80's,... My one Son bought me a really nice 1943 SA Garand for my Birthday last year (could have knocked me over with a feather !) And it reignited my passion for old Military Firearms,... And have sense restored a 03-A3 from a old sporter. (Hence,... why I found this cool forum, and posted pictures of the old Remington)

I do have the GO, and NO-GO gauges still as well as chamber erosion and muzzle wear gauges,... as well as the tools to time the receiver to the barrel (almost gave them away 20 years ago) I do however have to make a new barrel vice and receiver wrench. ,... Haven't done it in a long time so I'm really looking forward to the project, To see if I can still do it,....... As well as being able to pass a Garand down to both my sons when I assume room temperature.........

They don't have to be super special Garands,... Just safe fun shooters. Thanks so much for the responses guys.
    Last edited by Harms Way; 05-09-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Senior Veteran
    In Pinch you can make a barrel vice out of two pieces of wood and use a 18" Cresent wrench instead of a receiver wrench.
    I used a Cresent wrench for several builds before I had a buddy weld me up a receiver wrench.
    Cut a strip of aluminum pop can to protect receiver finish
    The offer stands on Garand parts

Thanks so much for the offer Orlando,... PM sent.