Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x54r "Red Army Standard" is CORROSIVE!

7.62x54r "Red Army Standard" is CORROSIVE!

I just saw a post on calguns about a recall on "Red Army Standard" ammo by a store called "Big5". The notice is related to the the box stating that the ammo is non-corrosive while they actually are very corrosive. The person making the post said their whole rifle was covered in rust. I shot 40 rounds of it on Sunday while doing videos and didn't get to clean the rifle right away so immediately took off for the shop to see if I had any damage. Luckily it wasn't the last type of ammo I shot so the bore looked good.

I had just given the gun a thorough cleaning prior to this shoot so I know all of this is from Sunday, roughly 32 hours ago.

Luckily my gas block is stainless steel and I didn't find rust anywhere else.

Bastards!! Makes me wonder if the WOLF is NC....
    I love you guys...

I have never had any non-corrosive 7.62X54r. I have had over the years more than a few million rounds of it. I have not bought any more in the last 7 years so there may be some out there. Ammo manufactories know that Americans will buy non-corrosive over corrosive and pay more money so they miss mark the box. They lied, so what else is new.

I have heard dealers tell customers "It was only slightly corrosive, it only is the primer that is corrosive, just clean your weapon like normal and you will be alright".
    NOTE: for some people cleaning their rifle once a year is normal for them.

I don't have a problem with corrosive ammo, because my rifles are cleaned at the range, then cleaned when I get home, that day. I don't take more rifles to the range than I can clean when I get home.

Sorry, there is no excuse for not cleaning your rifle soon after shooting it.

IMHO.
    RON
    Last edited by Planning; 08-06-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Good to know. Thank you for the heads-up!
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing."~Edmund Burke

Thanks for the heads up, I see that ammo a lot lately, but never have bought any. I usually stick to brass Privi Partizan (no steel, lead bullets) for my non-corrosive 7.62x54R shooting.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

I've been shooting about 100 rounds of spam can ammo every weekend for the last 5 weeks and haven't seen anything like this. The large nodules of spent powder seen on the piston were loaded into the gas tube eating away.

I just read that Windex neutralizes the residue.

Wow, that is bad. I have only had it that bad once and had to use extremely hot water, hopes#9 and windex to get it to stop. It was like once it started corroding it didn't want to stop - I actually
    had to cleaned the two rifles 2-3 times over a 2 day period. With all the work you did on that rifle I am sure it made you sick to find it.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Remember, If your at the range and forgot your bottle of Wendex with ammonia, just pee down the barrel. It worked for the Russians and other countries for many years.
    Have you ever wondered what that funny smell is when the Mosin Nagant heats up when your shooting it?

Well, wonder no more..............

Ron

I've peed on a lot of things, even myself after a jelly fish sting. But I ever thought of cleaning my gun with it.

There is a dispute going on now about the Windex thing, I guess I'll sit back now and see which side wins. I hosed the pars down with Hoppe's #9 and worked on the rust with a nylon bottle brush. I think it held up better than most PSL's because everything is parkerized. I expected the muzzle brake to have been eaten up but there is no sign of damage at all.

With all the work you did on that rifle I am sure it made you sick to find it.
    That is one way of looking at it. I've been shooting this rifle and another PSL exclusively this summer and both are loosing their new build sheen and starting to look like real rifles. The carbon is taking its toll on the polished carrier and I'll probably need to glass bead and parkerize it next time I fire up the tank. I'll need a spray can of "new gun smell" if I ever sell it.

psst. Hey comrade. Boris is asleep. Watch me pee in his ear from over here with the 91/30.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!