Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Important Info about the Forum

But I don't want items 1,2,3, or 5,just item 4... There's problems with everything, but as of now, the for sale section has worked relatively flawlessly for something like 6 years. There would be no collection of items by anyone, no bundling, no weeks of auctioning off things, just post something for sale and the proceeds go to the forum. It would work no differently than the current marketplace except there would be a "forum account" that funds would be collected in. I for one would check that forum far more religiously than the regular marketplace because it would be "for a cause". And the set up and explanation would be minimal for a guy who is preparing to move to Germany in a matter of weeks.
    COA #106121 COG #1000 NRA #148440199

Copenhagen is my anti-drug!

Texas sew n' sew

Misunderstanding, I didn't mean the same person buy all 5 just put 5 items up for bid at the same time, I bid $20.00 on item 4, etc.
    I assumed when M1 said July, he meant July 2014 as we are already into August this year??? I still think it would be more confusing, even on the
    for sale section for a bunch of folks doing their individual things, rather than a more controlled auction, sale, raffle, whatever.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 08-17-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

I didn't take note of the date here. I thought I saw on his Facebook page that it was happening much faster than that.

If there's a year to do it, that can change some things. But based on what I've seen in the past with having some sort of "order" in a thread (like the PIF thread), an auction would be a disaster with nobody reading through the posts and 5 pages after you say you bid $20 on item 4, some idiot bids $15 on the same item, then 18 people tell him that he did it wrong, and by the end of an auction of 5 things, we have 33 pages of people telling eachother the rules.

Now if there were a REAL auction site set up where you click the auction and it shows you the current bid (like gunbroker/ebay) then I'd be all for it. Unfortunately if something as simple as the PIF thread can't run for more than a week or 2 before getting stalled or screwed up, I don't have much hope for a "thread auction" that would require people to sit and read before posting.

In the end, the goal is obviously to raise money for the forum. I just see it being much simpler to do a raffle/set of raffles or to have a section designated to selling items "for the forum."
    COA #106121 COG #1000 NRA #148440199

Copenhagen is my anti-drug!

Texas sew n' sew

Quote Originally Posted by jfowl31 View Post
    I didn't take note of the date here. I thought I saw on his Facebook page that it was happening much faster than that.

If there's a year to do it, that can change some things. But based on what I've seen in the past with having some sort of "order" in a thread (like the PIF thread), an auction would be a disaster with nobody reading through the posts and 5 pages after you say you bid $20 on item 4, some idiot bids $15 on the same item, then 18 people tell him that he did it wrong, and by the end of an auction of 5 things, we have 33 pages of people telling eachother the rules.

Now if there were a REAL auction site set up where you click the auction and it shows you the current bid (like gunbroker/ebay) then I'd be all for it. Unfortunately if something as simple as the PIF thread can't run for more than a week or 2 before getting stalled or screwed up, I don't have much hope for a "thread auction" that would require people to sit and read before posting.

In the end, the goal is obviously to raise money for the forum. I just see it being much simpler to do a raffle/set of raffles or to have a section designated to selling items "for the forum."
    I think The German said there is a program and it could be easily done, maybe he can enlighten us on that or someone else can? No matter how we eventually do it, it would seem someone would still
    have to track what is going on, remind the forgetful and collect the money.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    Well, all I can offer (besides some items as donations and most likely some biding..) is a functioning auction site just for this purpose.
    I looked on the internet and found a free and pretty good working auction site that I downloaded and installed on my web server. That will allow pretty much everything the big auction sites offer, but it will not cost us anything. Payment of winning bids then can be handled through the personal messages on the forum here. The only downside is that it does not tie into the user accounts here, so everybody who wants to participate would have to sign up with a valid e-mail.

If you want to play around with it, here's the needed information. I already put in one item for auction and created two test users (but you could also register with your e-mail if you want to see the notification e-mails), I named the category "Militaryfirearm.com Support Auctions" (was simply too lazy to delete the ones that came with the software bundle, so they are there as well).

URL: http://auctions.runges.us
    user1: Test 1
    password: 123456
    user2: Test 2

Have fun and let me know what you think.

Technically we could tie a payment solution to it, but that would cost us some money, so maybe the good old paper check will work better.
    Last edited by The German; 08-17-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Well, all I can offer (besides some items as donations and most likely some biding..) is a functioning auction site just for this purpose.
    I looked on the internet and found a free and pretty good working auction site that I downloaded and installed on my web server. That will allow pretty much everything the big auction sites offer, but it will not cost us anything. Payment of winning bids then can be handled through the personal messages on the forum here. The only downside is that it does not tie into the user accounts here, so everybody who wants to participate would have to sign up with a valid e-mail.

If you want to play around with it, here's the needed information. I already put in one item for auction and created two test users (but you could also register with your e-mail if you want to see the notification e-mails), I named the category "Militaryfirearm.com Support Auctions" (was simply too lazy to delete the ones that came with the software bundle, so they are there as well).

URL: http://auctions.runges.us
    user1: Test 1
    user2: Test 2

Have fun and let me know what you think.

Technically we could tie a payment solution to it, but that would cost us some money, so maybe the good old paper check will work better.
    sorry, I limit where my e-mail account goes. I am out. I get enough spam as it is.
    ron
    31B

Senior Veteran
    No problem (not that it would not be safe on my server, but completely understand your point) - another option would be installing the software on the same server this forum is running on - that may also allow migration of the e-mail accounts.

Imperial Marine Stormtrooper
    I've always liked t shirt sales because you get something for your money
    but for the money tanker needs to raise, nothing is easier than running a raffle.

Ill help either way
    MFA King of Deleted Photos! I CANT SEE stuff

Senior Veteran
    I like jfowl's notion. Say I want to donate a grip, it works just like a regular WTS thread, but they send payment to Tanker instead of me. Once the payment arrives I send it out. Only trouble is that I'm stuck with the shipping (of course, I don't mind that, personally, but some might).

If people can stomach using paypal, then it can all be done effectively even with Tanker overseas. He could even reimburse for shipping that way.

I also still like a big ticket raffle item, but then raffles have some drawbacks too.

Don't forget now, that $1200 figure covers the entire 3 years. He doesn't need that this year AFAIK. An ongoing benefit sales forum could provide a steady small flow for the entire period.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Perro Del Diablo View Post
    I've always liked t shirt sales because you get something for your money
    but for the money tanker needs to raise, nothing is easier than running a raffle.

Ill help either way

+1 to this!!