Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surplus -30 degree sleeping bag "system"

Surplus -30 degree sleeping bag "system"

Well, I've been looking at getting this for a while to replace a couple older bags with holes in them (and one with suspected chiggers).
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/261...ing-bag-system

It is on sale at midway now and I had to have it.
    This thing is awesome. It has two different bags, a light and intermediate and then you can button the two together to make a heavy bag. It also has a water proof cover deal that is camo and buttons on to the outside of the bags and comes with a sweet compression sack. I'll be taking it out here next week to test it out whilst archery elk hunting. I am going to assume that I will never get cold. -30 is sufficiently chilly and I doubt I will ever have a wild hair to test out that rating. The two bags with the cover on take up quite a bit of room though and it doesn't roll up very small. Slightly larger than the standard intermediate green gi bags. I should have bought two.

Looks pretty close to what we were issued in Alaska. I am not sure if these are goose down filled. I think ours were the two bag artic system, that may have been rated even lower?
    Anyway, I liked the two bag system and gave us the option of dressing down or dressing up depending on the season. We were also authorized to use our gear for hunting, fishing, camping,
    etc, and got a lot of use out of those bags. Looks like a very good buy to me.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    That's actually a pretty good price on an MSS. Put all of that together and you'll stay nice and toasty. Most of the time in really cold weather (sleeping on the ground in Korea in Jan) the bivvy and black bag kept me pretty warm wearing only polypros inside. Another thing you might want to get is the current issue self-inflating sleeping pad. It makes a difference.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

QUOTE=Arkane;307837]That's actually a pretty good price on an MSS. Put all of that together and you'll stay nice and toasty. Most of the time in really cold weather (sleeping on the ground in Korea in Jan) the bivvy and black bag kept me pretty warm wearing only polypros inside. Another thing you might want to get is the current issue self-inflating sleeping pad. It makes a difference.[/QUOTE]

I was issued a bed warmer in Korea
    Last edited by Buckshot; 08-31-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
    That's actually a pretty good price on an MSS. Put all of that together and you'll stay nice and toasty. Most of the time in really cold weather (sleeping on the ground in Korea in Jan) the bivvy and black bag kept me pretty warm wearing only polypros inside. Another thing you might want to get is the current issue self-inflating sleeping pad. It makes a difference.
    I got a multimat off midway, supposedly it's good down to 14. I liked that it came with the repair kit unlike the thermarest. I was going to order everything off coleman's (including gi mat device) but this price was better and this multimat seems similar to the GI, 1in thick, self inflating.

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    QUOTE=Arkane;307837]That's actually a pretty good price on an MSS. Put all of that together and you'll stay nice and toasty. Most of the time in really cold weather (sleeping on the ground in Korea in Jan) the bivvy and black bag kept me pretty warm wearing only polypros inside. Another thing you might want to get is the current issue self-inflating sleeping pad. It makes a difference.
    I was issued a bed warmer in Korea [/QUOTE]

By the time I got there rental Yoboe's were a thing of the past.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

I have 4 of them here all bought on surplus market. Regretted having to turn in my issued one so I bought 4 of them. Great systems.
    COG# 1987

That's a good price on a good system. It'll perform as advertised. These things were retardedly expensive originally but they've been replaced by something else.

I received it today and was pleased. The carry bag, two sleeping bags, sleeping bag cover were in near new, or new condition. I wish I had had this for my Rocky Mountain Elk hunting trips. I did look at the
    reviews before I bought and one complained about the condition of his, but other than that the reviews were good. Again, I am very pleased with mine.

I used the system Jeep camping in mountains of West Virginia last winter and slept warm. We had snow that same night.

It is a good system that gives you versatility of the patrol bag for warm weather and rucksack hikes. The black middle weight bag can be used solo and will keep you warm alone. Of course all three keeps the heat in like a wrap.. Plus it's bivy cover is water resistant.
    The stuff sack with one way air relief valve was very good for canoeing or foot hiking.
    (This is the best sleeping bag carrier the Army has ever made)

My only compliant was all those zippers
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union