Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back in the game with a PTR91

I had to look up 'featureless' and 'bullet button'. You poor guys!
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Having handled "real" HKs, several different incarnations of CETME, and the two PTR91s, I LOVE the PTR. It is as nice as HK, IMHO. I wasn't a fan of the Navy style polymer trigger guard, but it actually works. VERY smooth trigger. The powder-coat is tough, smooth, and even.

BTW, how does one remove the flash hider on the PTR91? Is it just torqued on, or is there a secret I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by imarangemaster View Post
    Having handled "real" HKs, several different incarnations of CETME, and the two PTR91s, I LOVE the PTR. It is as nice as HK, IMHO. I wasn't a fan of the Navy style polymer trigger guard, but it actually works. VERY smooth trigger. The powder-coat is tough, smooth, and even.

BTW, how does one remove the flash hider on the PTR91? Is it just torqued on, or is there a secret I need to know?
    In non ban states it will screw right off. (CCW) PTR is making a very good rifle at this point in time the internals are still not up to HK standards but there getting close.
    The HK will feature Cold hammer forged Barrel, PTR will feature a button barrel. Fit and finish on the Rifle is Excellent.

HDH.

I have owned and fired M1A .308s, FN FAL (British and Argentine) and CETME .308 platforms. I do prefer the G3 pattern 308s, over all. (maybe because I am half German, or maybe because it has its roots in the STG44/45 weapons system!) I think the ergonomics and feel fits me best, and it doesn't seem as heavy as it is, because of the balance.

I loved the CETME I had, and hated to sell it. The fit and finish (A CAI build) was OK, but not up to the par of HK and PTR, though. I also did not care for the CETME rear sight, and was going to replace it with an HK drum rear, but never did. I LOVE the PTR91, and can't wait to shoot it. At first I was not wild about the Navy style polymer trigger/grip assembly, but it has grown on me, and I think I will keep it, instead of swapping it out for steel. I can't wait to get a chance to shoot it, but I am working 6 days a week right now, so it will be awhile.

Initial range report:

Had about 20 minutes of daylight by the time at work that I got up the hill where I could shoot. Decided to just adjust the battle zero at 25 yards, then some off-hand plinking. The mags that came with the PTR (with California bullet button mag release, were disassembled. I made 10 rounders out of them with a pop rivet through the deep vertical groove in the side of the mag, blocking the downward movement of the follower at the ten rounds.

At 25 yards, the elevation was perfect on the 200 yard setting: POI was about 3/4" below POA for 200 yard zero according to my ballistic calculator for the 147 grain FMJBT PMC Gold rounds I was shooting. It did take four shots to move the impact horizontally to dead center. Then a three shot cloverleaf at 25 yards with 200 yard aperture. Sight seems quite a bit off center to right, but irrelevant as long as it hits where I aim. Finished the 20 round box with some off-hand 100 yardish shots at pine cones and rocks. Was dead-nuts on with a shallow six o'clock hold, impact about 1.5" to 2" above POA at 100 yards.

I had forgotten how sweet the G3 platform is to shoot, compared to the M14/M1A system. The tactical, IIIA ballistic vest made it a little bit of a pain to get close enough cheek weld. If I were going to carry it as a patrol weapon, I would get a collapsable stock to compensate for the thick vest. With the .300 Blackout "featureless" M4 I carry at work, cheek weld is less of an issue, as I use a red dot co-witnessed with the set of flip up BUIS. Eventually, this PTR91 will wear a Redfield Revenge 3x9 or 4x12 for my long range weapon.

8 pounds of Teutonic goodness! Mine and my son's. The PTR91 A3S model has the Picatinny rail on the top of the receiver, allowing a much wider (and easier) selections of optics.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 11-02-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Nice looking Rifles I had a couple of PTRs but sold them to have custom HK clones built. PTR makes a very good rifle.

If permanently attached flash hiders are legal in California then it is probably pinned and welded.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great 308 View Post
    Nice looking Rifles I had a couple of PTRs but sold them to have custom HK clones built. PTR makes a very good rifle.

If permanently attached flash hiders are legal in California then it is probably pinned and welded.
    No Kalifornistan does not require muzzle devices to be permanently attached.If I use a detachable magazine or magazine that holds more than 10 rounds, It can not have a flash hider, pistol grip, or collapsable stock. I have a faux flash hider and am ordering a kydex paddle to "un-pistol grip" the grip, so I can use my pre-2000 G3 mags I had for my CETME back in the day. Absent those evil features, I don't need a bullet button or 10 rounders.

Here's a pic from the web page that shows what the grip will look like

No Kalifornistan does not require muzzle devices to be permanently attached.If I use a detachable magazine or magazine that holds more than 10 rounds, It can not have a flash hider, pistol grip, or collapsable stock. I have a faux flash hider and am ordering a kydex paddle to "un-pistol grip" the grip, so I can use my pre-2000 G3 mags I had for my CETME back in the day. Absent those evil features, I don't need a bullet button or 10 rounders.

Here's a pic from the web page that shows what the grip will look like

I looked up that model on Atlantic Arms it sounds like yours should have just come with a standard HK style flash hider and should just screw off (it is right hand threads).

I am really glad that the additional regulations got vetoed but I am sorry that grip just makes no sense. I do understand why you prefer the grip over the bullet button but it is ridiculous that your state is so restrictive.

Man I'm glad I don't live in that Kommy State, nice rifle all the same.