Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical supplies. Lets share our kits

Quote Originally Posted by kagans View Post
    Why no Superglue? Good kit man, you don't have to be a prepper or anything like that to need a med bag.
    I use new skin for cuts and blisters the stuff is like gold (At the end of the day Glue)
    IMG_6463.jpg
    I have these items on hand for typical cuts
    IMG_6462.jpg
    Wound wash spray, old fashion Iodine and Liquid bandage
    Attachment 40535

I have a big bag I keep in the basement with mostly medical things for cuts, burns and normal emergency's IMG_6460.jpg
    IMG_6461.jpg

I use a different smaller plastic bag for camping Hiking and camping, this has more foot care and cut protection plus electrical tape to wrap sprains and if necessary cuts
    IMG_6464.jpg

Don't forget that powder
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

U.S Army trauma pack:
    Contains over 230 items, including:

Shibby..I agree on the maxi's. I probably have 1,000 or so in storage for multi use...don't tell the wife on the multi part.

EFA - First Aid Book

Burn Aid Packages

Bandage Strips, 1''x3''

Tape, Rolls, Adhesive

Bandage Strips, 2''x4''

SAM / Universal Splint

Knuckle Bandages

Cervical Collar

Butterfly Strips

Blood Pressure Cuff Kit

Multi Trauma Dessings, 12''x30''

Emergency Blankets, 52''x84'' *

Elastic Bandage, 6''

Tourniquet

Triangular Bandages, 40''x40''x56''

EMT Shears

Blood Stopper Kits

Pair of Tweezers

Sterile Sponges, 4''x4''

Stethoscope

Abdominal Pads, 5''x9''

Scalpel handle, #3

Eye Pads

Scalpel Blades

Pain Relievers

Stainless Steel Hemostats

Triple Antibiotic Packages

Pen Light

Antiseptic BZK Wipes

Suture Sets

After Bite Wipes

Tongue Depressors

Calamine Lotion, 6oz.

Airways

Eye Wash, 4oz.

CPR Mask

Hand Sanitizer, 2oz.

Instant Ice Packs

Hand Soap

Safety Pins

Ammonia Inhalants

Pairs Latex Examination
    Last edited by HKaltwasser; 10-16-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Veteran
    Other things to include:

You can get the Pen G, or Pen G with Procaine in feed stores, along with all the syringes you could want. The Pen G is the natural penicillin right from the penicillin mold, good strong stuff. The G tells you that it is this type. Cant use it a lot or it can cause deafness, and ringing ears, still to prevent infections in an emergency, it is very good. You are supposed to refrigerate it, and it is photochemically reactive (light degrades it) It starts degrading rapidly after about 90 days out of the frige, it just looses potency. You can put 2 ml/cc (about 500MG) of it in little puddles on wax paper and let it dry, and it forms little pellets, it keeps for decades like this if you keep it sealed, and keep it away from light. One very good use for the liquid Pen G is as a topical antibiotic. You can apply it to a badly infected wound and it produces outstanding results. The downside is, PAIN, severe medieval blowtorch pain. It last about 5 minutes. I was in a remote location, and used this on a badly infected area from burns on myself, it feels like a flaming stick out of the camp fire for a few minutes, it will test your stuff, but it works. It causes severe pain on any cut, or wound. The procaine is a pain killer to dull any pain, it takes about 3-4 minutes for it to work, when injected Pen G isn't real bad, but topically it is a medieval thing.

You need some Antihistamines, for poison ivy, Anaphylaxis can kill from allergens, or stings, it is often overlooked, I carry a few Eppi pens, they are epinephrin/adrenalin best for Anaphylaxis. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is easy to get over the counter and is a good basic antihistamine.

Saline you dont have to keep it premade, in fact in most areas it is illegal, so look out for the saline cops, LOL. To make saline You want 9 grams of salt per liter of water or 1 teaspoon of salt per cup (8 fluid ounces) of sterile (boil it) water. Use Pickling salt it is pure NACL2 salt, table salt has anti caking additives, and a lot of it has iodine in it. You can get pickling salt in Walmart where they sell canning products, like mason jars.

Iodine useful if exposed to radiation, if you are ever exposed to radiation, iodine and getting away from ground zero is the only RX. Some water purification tabs are iodine, they are good dual purpose for med/survival bag items.

Anhydrous caffeine, an ounce is equal to 200 NoDoz tabs if it is pure. You should be able to get an ounce of it for $5. It can raise BP in an emergency, and if you ever get into a situation where staying awake means life or death, this can help. It is cheap and legal, I keep it is all my survival gear, and med kits.
    Last edited by 3333fps; 01-15-2014 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k98k792 View Post
    Great thread Shibbykins! It's a sticky!
    Buckshot, thanks for answering the over the counter antibiotic thing. I knew a guy ho used the animal type, but I had completely forgotten about it.
    Stopped by the co-op a couple of days ago and picked these up and remembered this post. There is a number of other antibotics/medicines I am looking at I will get as well.
    There is also a varity that need to be refrigerated such as penicillin, etc, but sticking to those that can be shelf stored for a considerable time. I also bought replacement
    syringes of various sizes. With live stock I use to keep a large varity of these medications on the farm and was use to vacinating and medicating as needed. Over
    time my supply got old and needs to be replaced. The blood stop powder was only $6.75. There is also a lot of other wound treatment items that look interesting I
    will likely get. BTW I am not recommending anyone play doctor unless there is an obsolute need and no other alternative.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Good find Buck. I keep 2 bottles of Fishmox on hand for my antibiotics needs. No need for a prescription and they are the same Human grade ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by HKaltwasser View Post
    Good find Buck. I keep 2 bottles of Fishmox on hand for my antibiotics needs. No need for a prescription and they are the same Human grade ingredients.
    Not hard to find, any farm type store, Tractor Supply, will carry some of these items. There was several types of antibotics and wound treatments I was interested in but didn't have the time to look long.
    I will probably get some of the refrigerated stuff as I can keep it cool for a while even with power out. My problem was being a procrastinator, but the last couple of months I have finally been finishing putting
    together a pretty good medical kit/supply.

Picked this up over the weekend and still looking at other antibotics. Other things have come to mind, such as athletes (fungus) treatment and even treatment for pin worm. Also if I have to shelter in a temp
    structure things like "off" and insecticides. Ticks, fleas, lice, (you name it) can become a problem in less than ideal shelter/sanitary conditions. Getting a pretty decent med kit together. Still adding some food items
    to the stash, but getting where I want to be on that too. BTW I think I will also buy a small gas refrigerator to run off propane bottle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lots of good information here but I didn't see anything about tampons. They are really good to use in bullet wounds. We used them in the field and I see some manufacture's are producing similar products

Airmedic6

Quote Originally Posted by Airmedic6 View Post
    Lots of good information here but I didn't see anything about tampons. They are really good to use in bullet wounds. We used them in the field and I see some manufacture's are producing similar products
    I agree, we keep them in our bags and a good supply in the closet. Pads would work good for alternate bandages too.

yeah in my origional post kinda beat around the bush on them. My mother in law swears by tampons from her time as a medic and loves telling those stories of guys freaking out when a medic shoves a tampon in them lol
    COG# 1987