Thread: FFL Location & Regulations

FFL Location & Regulations

Anyone on here with an FFL can maybe help me with this question. What is the rule (assuming there is one) about the relation of an Gun Store (FFL Liscensee) to a college or university? Is there a certain distance that must separate them? Also if there is, would having a current FFL on the property that is adjacent to college owned property grandfather that property in for a gun shop? I need the information for the federal rules, I am okay with all local and state regulations.

Senior Veteran
    Well, AFAIK, you should be fine. However, my reccomendation is to get actual legal assistance and advice from a zoning lawyer who should be more up to date. Usually the big issues are State/County/City ordinances. But I would seek competent legal advice on a question of that magnitude before trying to open shop.

-E

I think the atf's position is as follows, from this document(I am not a laywer and didnt stay at a Holliday Inn last night but I beleive this is current)

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....4.1.7&idno=27

Title 27, Part 478, Subpart D-Licenses, says

(i) The business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by State or local law in the place where the licensed premises are located;
    (ii) Within 30 days after the application is approved the business will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of business;
    iv) The applicant has completed and sent or delivered ATF F 5300.36 (Notification of Intent to Apply for a Federal Firearms License) to the chief law enforcement officer of the locality in which the premises are located, which indicates that the applicant intends to apply for a Federal firearms license. For purposes of this paragraph, the “chief law enforcement officer” is the chief of police, the sheriff, or an equivalent officer.
    Thus as Enigma Nostra says, its a local and state thing that can you actually do the busness there not really a federal thing. The first item (i) is what you really have to make sure of.
    Still building bigger and better bombs for your brighter tommrows(aw heck and takeing them apart and demilling them for that tommrow too)

Okay. I am perfectly okay with both state and local ordinances and laws as stated in my first post. The question was is there anything federally that would prohibit a firearms store from being permitted due to its proximity to a college or university?

Senior Veteran
    To my meager barracks style lawyer knowledge, there is no rule against proximity. There are state rules about being ON school property, so make sure your customers wouldnt have to cross any roads or such that were considered school property, and be VERY careful about the commercial zoning... but as far as I know, the federal government defers to state/city/county.

-E

I believe you will be all right as long as the local regs don't prohibit it. What I would worry about is getting within 1000' of a school with a firearm. I do believe that is a law that might bite you in the butt.
    COG#163
    Minuteman
    NRA Member
    GOA Member

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."
    -- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i151/mikesstuff_2006/

Finally got a response from the ATF. They said it would be completely fine to have the store in the vicinity of the college. And in georgia you can be with the 1000ft zone if you either live/work there, have a concealed carry liscense, or have legitiment business there. So going to the store with a gun or leaving the store with one is no problem as long as you do not go onto campus with it. This was the last thing we needed to work out before we submitted the application to the ATF for approval! Were excited. Anyone know the turn around time lately? I know the law says they have 60 days to approve/reject, but was wondering what the realword timeframe is?

Senior Veteran
    No clue mate. But best wishes to your new store, drop us the info and maybe a few of us will take a roadtrip down your way.... especially if theres member discounts ^^

-E

Quote Originally Posted by grifter95 View Post
    Okay. I am perfectly okay with both state and local ordinances and laws as stated in my first post. The question was is there anything federally that would prohibit a firearms store from being permitted due to its proximity to a college or university?
    I'm pretty sure that if you are with 500 miles of a college, you are *required* to sell tactical and/or camo bikini garb.

And post pics of the customers (the female ones) to your bud's messageboard.

RandyCOG3

Senior Veteran
    Hunh, didnt know the mile requirement was that low....

-E