Thread: U.S. customs destroy 11 rare flutes

U.S. customs destroy 11 rare flutes

Sleep safe tonight the Customs department bureaucrats are awake
    (board members who works for customs.. no offence to you)

U.S. customs officials last week destroyed 11 rare flutes owned by a respected Canadian musician who was returning home via New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport. But the agency isn't apologizing for the incident -- it says the flutes were an ecological threat.

Officials at U.S. Customs and Border Protection identified the instruments owned by flute virtuoso Boujemaa Razgui as agricultural products that risked introducing "exotic plant pathogens" in to the United States, a customs official tells Foreign Policy. As a result, officials destroyed every single flute without contacting Razgui in an incident that makes your holiday airport delays trivial by comparison.

Razgui said there are around 15 people in the U.S. with such flutes, which means acquiring one ahead of his upcoming performances in February may be impossible. "I'm not sure what to do," Razgui told The Boston Globe.
    "They said this is an agriculture item," Razgui continued. "I fly with them in and out all the time and this is the first time there has been a problem. This is my life ... This is horrible.

- See more at: http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/po....cTX9JnBa.dpuf

Hey they should have talked to the guy before they destroyed the flutes
    Again if anybody works for Customs this was not meant to smear you.. I just don't understand this type of behavior.
    If the flutes were made of some weird Bamboo that was not legal.. Then make sure they tell him what is going on.
    This has nothing to do with 9/11. I mean I would like to hear what the USDA has to say about the flutes. As they say
    this is an agriculture item

OK explain is it a flute or not?
    Last edited by Norton; 01-03-2014 at 07:37 PM.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Arkansas. up in the Northwest corner that is home of WalMart, Tyson Foods, and J.B.Hunt.
    Bureaucrats with rules, but not brains, or interest in doing the right thing. I work for some people like that, in private business. Having rules to follow makes your job so much easier--you do not have to trouble yourself to think.
    Time for the book "The Decline and Fall of the United States of America?"

Customs claims they only destroyed fresh bamboo, not flutes? So where are the flutes? - maybe ---
    Ancient Chinese proverb "One Man's flutes - is another Man's stir fry"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Buckshot; 01-03-2014 at 10:30 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

First of all it was probably CBP Agriculture Officers (AQI for Agriculture Quarantine Inspection), with appropriate degrees (such as BS in Biology, Botany, etc) and months at the USDA AQI Training Academy.

There are all sorts of agricultural threats to the US Agriculture Industry; Fruit Flies are devastating to citrus crops, Avian Bird Flu, Exotic Newcastle Disease, bugs, insects, and other pests.

I don't know the whole story but rest assured there are three sides to the story (at least 3) the biased media, the individual involved, and CBP/AQI. I know my agency; if it turns out someone screwed up - somebody will be punished.
    Integrity is doing what you say you are going to do...

Quote Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret View Post
    First of all it was probably CBP Agriculture Officers (AQI for Agriculture Quarantine Inspection), with appropriate degrees (such as BS in Biology, Botany, etc) and months at the USDA AQI Training Academy.

There are all sorts of agricultural threats to the US Agriculture Industry; Fruit Flies are devastating to citrus crops, Avian Bird Flu, Exotic Newcastle Disease, bugs, insects, and other pests.

I don't know the whole story but rest assured there are three sides to the story (at least 3) the biased media, the individual involved, and CBP/AQI. I know my agency; if it turns out someone screwed up - somebody will be punished.
    Thanks for the information Chief,

On baised reporting
    One thing I noticed tonight. I heard the story on liberal NPR radio and it had a very negative spin.
    I found the exact same story with a similar spin on conservative web sites.

For me that is rare in 2014, 2004 or even 1994, So many times it is framed as if they are against it then we should support it.
    Still think he should have been told, we have a problem with the flutes. They are contraband because they violate USDA rule XYZ.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Senior Veteran
    I'll chime in there because I've had direct experiences with the CBP guys at JFK more than once. With all but one exception I've been through there they have been total walking phalli on a power trip. No other airport I've been through is as bad as JFK, not LAX, SEATAC, BWI, etc.

Simple things like courier cards, no hold orders, sealed classified, diplomatic pouches, etc.. seem to really upset them.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.