Thread: Some time at the reloading bench

Some time at the reloading bench

Two or three weeks ago I picked up a Tikka M595 Target rifle.
    http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...33-Finland-308
    I got a chance to take it to the range last week and fire form some brass for it. I cleaned them Friday night in the new STM tumbler I got for Christmas. This is the best system I have ever seen for cleaning brass. Thanks go out the the guys here that turned an old man onto something new. Any way, I neck sized and primed the cases and charged them with 45 grains of Varget and seated 168 gr Sierra BTHP Match projectiles. OH yeah the cases are Hornady Match, primers are CCI Brenchrest. the rounds are seated .018 from the lands at the ogive to start. I have found this to work very well in many of my other rifles that I load this round for. I will see if the Tikka likes them as soon as I can get back to the range. The normal disclaimer for using this info for your reloading stands as allways.
    Pics loaded in reverse order. Guess I'll hve to figure that out next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Senior Veteran
    The Hornady is considered a commercial case? I use 40 w/168gr MK and 41 gr w/165gr GK and military brass. Please give a range report. I'm curious to hearhow they did.
    " If Clemenza can figure out a way to plant that gun, then I'll kill them both. It's nothing personal Sonny. It's strictly business".... Michael Corleone

"Stick to your gun if you believe in something
    no matter what;
    cause it's better to be hated for who you are
    Than loved for someone you're not. Oh, and try to help someone out." Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by concretus View Post
    The Hornady is considered a commercial case? I use 40 w/168gr MK and 41 gr w/165gr GK and military brass. Please give a range report. I'm curious to hearhow they did.
    Yes the hornady case is a true 308 case. I hope to get to the range in the AM if it is not raining. If so I'll post the results here.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Here are the specs I took at the range today. After seven five round groups the details came out to be: highest 2804fps, the lowest2641 fps, average2705 extreme spread 162 fps, standard differance 65.9 fps. I think I had a couple of rounds in there that got set a little to close to the lands that gave an increase in pressure and through things off a little. Next loading is going to be with 155 gr smk and I will keep a better check on my distance from the lands.
    To see the targets ckeck out the range report.
    http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...135#post320135