Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My USAF GUU-5/P carbine build

Cool My USAF GUU-5/P carbine build

Since I ditched the 300 BLK build, I wanted a good 5.56 carbine. I love Retro KISS with slab side lower and non-forward assist uppers, but I wanted a 1/7" twist barrel so I could shoot 77 Grain MK 262 Mod1 ammo. The answer is my GUU-5/P carbine. The USAF are the ultimarte weapon recyclers, with early 60s 601 and 602 Colt AR15 receivers still in service with various upgrades. Literally anything is correct with USAF "Franken Guns" In 1979 to 1981, I carried a USAF GAU-05/P which was a Colt 601 or 602 lower and upper with an Aluminum XM177 stock and a 14.5:" 1/12 Colt carbine barrel.

My USAF GUU-5/P replicates an early 1960s Model 602, late 1980s upgraded to GAU-5/P , later in late 1990s further upgraded to GUU-5/P is done.

I forgot to wipe off the white lithium grease for the barrel nut threads, that got on the slip ring and port door pin. Some of those 30s actually go back to when i was in the 142 SPF 1979-1981. I have had the USAF survival knife since 1968. I decided to go with my Wilson Tactical Comp, instead of an A1 or A2 flash hider. It works really well, and I can use it with a Kydex paddle or hammerhead grip, and pinned stock when I want to be legal with high caps in Kalifornistan.

Charlie Don't Surf

I like it rangemaster! Anytime we get to see a military firearm built to a specific time of service it adds that special meaning. Not the coolest, slickest, fastest, lightest, cheese grater having, red dot loving zombie killer, but something a veteran from that time period will relate too.

Well done.
    In those moments where you're not quite sure if the undead are really dead, dead, don't get all stingy with your bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by M1 Tanker View Post
    I like it rangemaster! Anytime we get to see a military firearm built to a specific time of service it adds that special meaning. Not the coolest, slickest, fastest, lightest, cheese grater having, red dot loving zombie killer, but something a veteran from that time period will relate too.

Well done.
    What M1 said! Nice to see a military period firearm with a little history on the hows and why. I have enough of the newer AR types, but seeing this and others like it make me want one like I carried
    back in the old days. Thanks for sharing!
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Nice looking upper
    IS THERE A SECTION FOR MY DEATH STAR ON MILITARYFIREARM.COM?

I like it! Very nice rifle!

The text of your post brought back a lot of memories more so than the pics. Some good some not so. Never did like the weapon or the round. To this day I still feel the same. Now don't get me wrong I do own two AR'S but they are both in 308 and a darn site better weapon than the one I had from 70 to 78. FWIW. PS I do think you built a fine looking weapon and I hope it serves you well.
    Last edited by 7.62guy; 02-03-2014 at 08:01 PM.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the pictures and memories. I have a few of them and several to still put together someday.

here is one of mine.

When I was in the reserves they had carbines made in about every combination you could think of. Many of them had been re-stamped "GUU-5".
    Some of the lowers were S-S, A1, A2, what ever they had. When they would work on them they would grab a part and put it on.

Come to think of it the rifles were the same way.
    Last edited by Planning; 02-03-2014 at 08:13 PM.
    31B

Quote Originally Posted by HKILLER View Post
    Nice looking upper
    Yep, you should know. I got it from you! Thanks. It is early, XM grey, square forged; do you know what vintage it is??

To me, the AR platform (this one included) is a 200 yard and under weapon. (150 or less, optimum). I have a PTR91 HK91 clone in .308 with a Redfield Revenge 3x9 "Dial N Shoot scope with BDC. That's my "reach out an touch someone" weapon!

As for this carbine, it is a KISS carbine with the best of both worlds: trim and light, with the tougher Aluminum stock, and the modern MK262 Mod1 compatible Chrome Lined barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Planning View Post
    Thanks for the pictures and memories. I have a few of them and several to still put together someday.

here is one of mine.

When I was in the reserves they had carbines made in about every combination you could think of. Many of them had been re-stamped "GUU-5".
    Some of the lowers were S-S, A1, A2, what ever they had. When they would work on them they would grab a part and put it on.

Come to think of it the rifles were the same way.
    Nice build <GGGGGG>