Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1895 Chileno 7mm Mauser

1895 Chileno 7mm Mauser

Ok, once again I hope you guys can give me some feedback on a rifle I'm gonna buy tomorrow. I've done lots of research but info comes back all over the place. I'm just curious if this is a decent deal for 250.00 that I will pay.

Here's what I know: Stock and receiver are matching #'s, waiting on response on what the bore looks like, no cleaning rod or sling, not sure about cartouche being in tact. It looks good to me, but I don't know too much about these either. Thanks in advance.
    Here are some pictures, not very many, but all I have.

Last edited by HKaltwasser; 03-28-2014 at 07:53 PM.

From what I can see here it looks great they went for $175 and up in 05 (If my memory serves me)
    They seem to be around $225 right now, ask them to knock off Twenty five
    All prices have went up on all firearms related items from 22. long rifle ammo to dried up Russian Capture M 98s
    Really like the workmanship on Chilean Mauser myself, books noted it had great metal finish and detail.
    Just look at the crest and receiver you can see it was built with care with the best materials available
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

It is really hard to make a guess without actually looking the entire rifle over and seeing the bore. Prices for a decent Mauser around here have been holding around $275-325.00 and more if they are in exceptional condition,
    or desirable make/rare. Many Chileon Mausers were converted to 7.62X51 NATO, before they were put into war reserve, but they are clearly marked with that when converted. Again, $300.00 range is just an average I see
    them higher and lower than that. I have at least two Chileons that were military converted to 7.62X51 NATO and the bores are like new. If it is in good shape (BTW the crest looks nice) I would think $250.00.
    would be a good price. I really like shooting the 7mm Mauser cartridge.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    It is really hard to make a guess without actually looking the entire rifle over and seeing the bore. Prices for a decent Mauser around here have been holding around $275-325.00 and more if they are in exceptional condition,
    or desirable make/rare. Many Chileon Mausers were converted to 7.62X51 NATO, before they were put into war reserve, but they are clearly marked with that when converted. Again, $300.00 range is just an average I see
    them higher and lower than that. I have at least two Chileons that were military converted to 7.62X51 NATO and the bores are like new. If it is in good shape (BTW the crest looks nice) I would think $250.00.
    would be a good price. I really like shooting the 7mm Mauser cartridge.
    Ok, good that's what I have been seeing. Anything from 225.00-750.00 depending on condition and numbers matching#.

I plan on shooting it some, but more of a collectors piece. I've read nothing but good from the 7mm/7x57 round. I've never shot a 7mm, so that's good news.

Snatch that puppy up and give it a home. I've a friend with one he bought in the sixties...Never been fired( by him and has immaculate bore) and still packed in the old cosmo that was on it when purchased from a Western Auto. He invariably pulls it out every visit I have with him so that I may fondle and drool all over it. Great care was given to these old rifles when they were born. Superb craftsmanship.

Just consider what such fine work would demand pricewise were they produced today.
    Joe
    COG#1453

Thanks for the replies guys. We finally got around to making the exchange today. Something odd about it though, it has a Lowe Berlin Made rifle ( that seized in 1895 to my knowledge and changed to DMW in 1896) , but a 1900 marked stock. The catouche has been erased some how, but the serial# on stock matches the rest of the gun. The bolt is marked 200? Overall I'm happy with it, the bore cleaned up real nice. I'll have to order a cleaning rod though. It has some nice tiger striping on upper handguard. Here are some pics that I took:

Last edited by HKaltwasser; 03-30-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Nice zebra grain on the hand guard, you don't see that contrast often
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

I don't think I would be too concerned about a cartouche on the stock - the serial number looks legit. I have the 1895 and don't recall a cartouche on mine. They are often pretty lightly stamped and
    easily rubbed off, if even there to begin with. I also would not be very concerned by the 1900 date, it could be there for a varity of reasons. It might be an ordinance issue date, or inspection date, etc.
    Who knows?? Loewe made these for several South American countries. IMO they are one of the nicer Mausers and the 7mm Mauser cartridge is a sweet round to shoot. On light scratches I often
    just use a little dark Old English and they will blend in and can hardly be seen. Nice buy!
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-30-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I don't think I would be too concerned about a cartouche on the stock - the serial number looks legit. I have the 1895 and don't recall a cartouche on mine. They are often pretty lightly stamped and
    easily rubbed off, if even there to begin with. I also would not be very concerned by the 1900 date, it could be there for a varity of reasons. It might be an ordinance issue date, or inspection date, etc.
    Who knows?? Loewe made these for several South American countries. IMO they are one of the nicer Mausers and the 7mm Mauser cartridge is a sweet round to shoot. On light scratches I often
    just use a little dark Old English and they will blend in and can hardly be seen. Nice buy!
    Thanks for the tips Buck. From what I understand Afrikaan Boer models prefix with C and are the most desirable. I've been having some fun researching these oldies and that # on buttstock was just interesting and kinda contradicted the rest of the rifle.

When I picked it up, the guy told me he was just about to refinish the stock on it. I was glad to snag it before he erased part of it's history and long road of character.
    Last edited by HKaltwasser; 03-31-2014 at 10:09 AM.

I almost always steer away from refinished milsurp rifles, unless it was done at a military arsenal and part of it's military history. I don't have any problem touching up a a few small scratches
    with the dark Old English as it looks natural and blends in. No sandpaper, etc, though.

The qualities of the 757mm as a military round were shown in the Spanish–American War of 1898. At the commencement of the American assault on the strategic Cuban city of Santiago, 750 Spanish troops defended
    positions on San Juan and Kettle Hills. The attacking force numbered approximately 6,600 American soldiers, most of them armed with then-new smokeless-powder Krag-Jorgensen rifle in .30-40 Krag caliber, and supported
    by artillery and Gatling gun fire. Though the assault was successful, the Americans soon realized that they had suffered more than 1,400 casualties, nearly 20 per cent of their forces. A U.S. board of investigation later
    concluded that the casualties were primarily due to the superior firepower of the Spanish Model 1893 7mm Mauser rifles.

During the Second Boer War in South Africa, British authorities were obliged to re-evaluate rifle and ammunition design and tactics after facing Boer sharpshooters and snipers armed with Model 1895 Mauser rifles firing
    757mm rounds with withering effectiveness, easily outranging the .303 British cartridge
    as regards accurate long-range fire.[2]
    Last edited by Buckshot; 03-31-2014 at 10:24 AM.