Thread: has anyone re-welded a fal receiver

New Recruit Private

has anyone re-welded a fal receiver

I picked up a number of Israeli heavy barrel cut up receivers quite some time ago. I want to make a heavy barrel rifle using these receivers. What has to be done to them to make the ATF happy?

Senior Veteran
    They have to contain less than 10 foreign made parts. I'd recommended getting a Coonan receiver and building on that.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

I have seen a few reweld threads over the years. You have to weld up the safety sear slot, and weld in a safety sear sized washer in it's place (so it can't ever be removed) to make it semi configured. The build that come to mind on gunco ended up cracking eventually. I know there are welders out there that can repair them and make them safe, but I'm not one of them so I've given it little thought. That is the part that would concern me, since the weld through the magwell is going to be subject to keeping the genie in the bottle.
    Last edited by Moleman; 06-14-2014 at 10:35 PM.

New Recruit Private
    Thanks guys.

thermite?

I have also been wondering about this. apex has cut receivers for pretty cheap.
    what about thermite? have any of y'all tried casting with thermite? I was thinking about creating a mold around the old receiver, filling it with thermite and metal shavings of your choice(very strong steel) and since there are air pockets in the thermite creating a funnel above the mold also filled with thermite and grinding off the excess when u are finished. any thoughts?

If its a cut receiver its classified as scrap.Reweld it and its new American production.Matt at guns northwest is one of the best ak rewelders out there.Maybe check with him and see if he can do it.I believe hes on this site from time to time.

Super Moderator
    The issue I see with re-welding the FAL receivers is that the headspacing and lockup is performed between the locking shoulder at the rear of the mag well and the chamber at the front. You will need to get these distances correct within a few thousandths of an inch to get good lockup. At least with the AK receivers the lockup is done at the front of the mag well and is not interrupted by one of the de-milling cuts, which makes re-welding much easier.
    Some people are like a slinky...

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.