Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type 99 rifle made at Jensen questions.

Type 99 rifle made at Jensen questions.

Does anyone know on Type 99 made at Jensen in the series 30 how many rifles where made?

Did the Japamese make rifles in the ROK for just troops in the ROK or where these rifle used on all fronts?

Any idea of monthly factory production?

Thanks!

Senior Veteran
    There's not alot of solid info on production of the Jinsen (Incheon) arsenal 99s however if you can catch it Tales of the Gun had a show on Japanese WWII weapons and they specifically mentioned the 99 last ditch rifle. I've always been told the very late war Jinsen and Mukden 99s were normally considered unsafe to fire due to the shoddy materials and construction techniques used in them.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776.

From the looks of this rifle I would not shoot it when it was new!

QUOTE=Arkane;329498]There's not alot of solid info on production of the Jinsen (Incheon) arsenal 99s however if you can catch it Tales of the Gun had a show on Japanese WWII weapons and they specifically mentioned the 99 last ditch rifle. I've always been told the very late war Jinsen and Mukden 99s were normally considered unsafe to fire due to the shoddy materials and construction techniques used in them.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not a last ditch version, but tests after the war showed the Arisaka 99 had the strongest action of the bolt guns used during WW II. Many were converted to 30-06 when brought home by GIs. Kinda crude looking, but they did their job well.
    RRRROOOWWWRRR PHHT PHHT I AM THE FORCE!

Senior Veteran
    One thing to keep in mind about the later 99s is that there were a LOT of "school rifles" made using cast receivers and stamped parts. These rifles were never intended to shoot anything but blanks for training.

Nevada the "last ditch' rifles we're talking about here is a far cry in quality from an original Arisaka. Wooden buttplate, no monopod, no upper hand guard, no flip up sight, etc.. etc. - really ugly 99s. There are two types of those that are worth a premium - the Mukden ones (only 3k produced) and the Jinsen (Incheon) ones with the wider barrel band.

How wide is the is the " wider barrel band"?

UOTE=Arkane;329552]One thing to keep in mind about the later 99s is that there were a LOT of "school rifles" made using cast receivers and stamped parts. These rifles were never intended to shoot anything but blanks for training.

Nevada the "last ditch' rifles we're talking about here is a far cry in quality from an original Arisaka. Wooden buttplate, no monopod, no upper hand guard, no flip up sight, etc.. etc. - really ugly 99s. There are two types of those that are worth a premium - the Mukden ones (only 3k produced) and the Jinsen (Incheon) ones with the wider barrel band.[/QUOTE]

A website with loads of info

When I got my first Type 99 I found this website that is really quite good:

Arisaka Rifle Info

I have an almost "mint" Substitute (aka "Last Ditch") Rifle; it is a 10th Series Nagoya. While not the prettiest rifle it is in very good shape and I would shoot it with modern factory ammo.
    Integrity is doing what you say you are going to do...

Senior Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    How wide is the is the " wider barrel band"?
    Here's a pic I pulled from an auction to illustrate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The last ditch rifles I have some things in common - the wooden butt plate, fixed sights, etc, but the quality of them is all over the place. Some I think I would fire, but others I have seen looked like
    they were made out of pig iron and even had air (bubble) holes in the receivers from casting. I need to get one for my collection, just to have as a piece of history. I am curious if in the last days of
    the war Japan was still producing the military grade Ariska, or just concentrating on the "last ditch" rifles. I suspect most of the "last ditch" were to arm the civilian population/reserves, but the main line military
    units were still using issued the military grade Ariska. The Japanese Korean/Manchurian Army almost acted as an independant force,(doing their own thing). Also, many Japanese civilians had immigrated to
    Korea/Manchuria during the decades they were occupied by Japan.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

My rifle band is solid and not as wide as this one. The barrel on my rifle is not as rough or have the just machined look as the photo.

It is my understanding that last ditches where military issue.

The Japanese people had to use spears, bows, and knifes to stop us.

OTE=Arkane;329558]Here's a pic I pulled from an auction to illustrate it.[/QUOTE]