Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Hacked

Credit Card Hacked

My bank called me about thirty minutes ago refer suspicious charges on my credit (debit) card. Either on-line ordering, or swiping the card locally, someone got the info on it.
    They (crooks) made one huge purchase at an auto parts store and tried another (different auto parts store) that was declined by the bank. Several other smaller charges, but
    they only got one other thru before my bank caught it. Luckily I don't do much card activity, except at the beginning of the month, so it was pretty easy to sort it out. Looks like
    I will come out of it OK and the bank will take care of it. Card has been cancelled of course. Never happen to me before. Little scary how many ways the bad guys can get the info.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 01-23-2015 at 12:47 AM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Senior Veteran
    I had it happen once... They got $1000 out. I got my money back in 3 days, and a new card of course .

Quote Originally Posted by Major Spanky View Post
    I had it happen once... They got $1000 out. I got my money back in 3 days, and a new card of course .
    They got me for more than a $1,000, but the bank says they got it covered. It was already a crappy day, everything that could go wrong, had gone wrong and then I got
    this call (lol). Anyway, I should be happy I am not loosing anything over it. I am surprised my bank caught it as fast as the did. The must have a good program monitoring
    out of the ordinary (suspicious) purchases. BTW this was a VISA debit card, so the purchases were coming straight out of my checking account.

Ours was hit for over $5k a couple years ago. We made some calls to merchants who shipped stuff and it all went to the same address. Reported it to both credit card co. and LE. No one cared.

Glad there is a favorable outcome! Happened once to me and it was small potatoes. Two charges: one the bank immediately rejected, the other took some doing. The immediate rejection was apparently an on-line purchase attempt. The one that took some work to fix was a payment of a fine for illegal parking in London, England. I would have thought that would be the immediate rejection. Life has its' mysteries in all corners.
    Lifelong vegetarian...by proxy.

Quote Originally Posted by hdhazell View Post
    Glad there is a favorable outcome! Happened once to me and it was small potatoes. Two charges: one the bank immediately rejected, the other took some doing. The immediate rejection was apparently an on-line purchase attempt. The one that took some work to fix was a payment of a fine for illegal parking in London, England. I would have thought that would be the immediate rejection. Life has its' mysteries in all corners.
    My was out of New Zealand about 7-8 years ago. I asked the CC company if they could just block out of country purchases since I rarely leave the USA and they said no. Idiots.
    Last edited by Moleman; 01-23-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Has happened to me only once and it was on Xbox Live a few years ago. A hack existed with FIFA12 or 13 that you could essentially get into anyone's account fairly easily. I actually caught the fools in the middle of it because my phone started beeping about all the MS emails. I regained my account in less than 5 minutes, relogged into the console, got a chat request from someone else, accepted it and heard a bunch of spanish being spoken as I am on the phone with Microsoft. They tried to rack up about $500 in micro transactions for some booster pack for the game then they transfer them to another acct. I gave them the gamertags for everyone in the chat group and they actually caught the guys and charges were brought about a month later.
    COG# 1987

i'm in the habit of checking all my balances at least twice a week. i must have have been hacked at least four different times during the past five years. never have i been contacted by any bank or institution; its always been me having to catch this $hit.

wait, i have to retract my earlier statement. i was contacted once by a card company; asking if booked a flight out of canada.

it would be interesting to know how they {crooks} obtain these numbers. one lady at a card company told me that sometimes they just type in random numbers until they score a hit. but if your doing it on one particular website, wouldn't that raise a red flag? i guess not.

another scam i've heard of, has to due with gift cards. i guess you can take a card off the display. copy down the number on the card and phone number for activation. call the the number every once in a while to find out if the cards been activated. spend it before the guy who actually purchased it can.

imagine what kind of job they could land if they put forth that kind of effort and creative talent.

As they directly hit my checking accounting using my debit card they were cleaning it out. If the bank had not caught it I likely would not have known until checks started bouncing, or it was declined
    in a local store for insufficient funds. As it is one large important check and 2 smaller ones will come in before they restore the funds. I gave the bank the info on the checks and said they will make
    sure the checks are honored. When my son purchased some large compute items a while back the bank called the house and talked to him. They were worried it was a fraud, but in that case my
    son actually made the purchases. Glad they are on the "ball". The bank called me around 8 p.m. on it.

IIRC they said that it could have been the accounts of any company I did business with being hacked. Also when the card is scanned when I use it in person all the info a crook needs is on the magnetic stripe
    including the pin #. They were using it as a credit card, as it will work that way too. My son said they have actually went as far as replacing the card readers in ATMs with their own readers to get
    account info.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 01-23-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Senior Veteran
    The bad part is, this is low on LEs to do list. So its common.