Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To build or not to build M1919

To build or not to build M1919

I am think about a long term project on building a simi M1919A4.

I know it will be a costly build and will take me a year or two to do it, maybe more depending on the total cost.

As this is a long term goal anyone have some ideas on what parts I should start looking for? Any good books or cd I should be looking for?

Thanks!

It has been a long while but building a 1919a4 is a very fun project.

A parts kit with a semi right plate and parts converted to build will run around $1500 to $1800.

If you can find a part kit I have seen them for over $1000 depending on how complete the kit is and condition of parts.

A ready built will run over $2000 most around $2500+ depending on the accessories that come with it.

I say go for it and have fun.

There are a few guys on this site that have built them and may be willing to help you.

Ron
    Last edited by Planning; 02-16-2015 at 11:50 AM.
    31B

A bit more than I was thinking.

Who needs beer anyways.

Is there a idea of the parts or bits I should start to look for?

What is better belts or links?

Thanks

QUOTE=Planning;335492]It has been a long while but building a 1919a4 is a very fun project.

A parts kit with a semi right plate and parts converted to build will run around $1500 to $1800.

If you can find a part kit I have seen them for over $1000 depending on how complete the kit is and condition of parts.

A ready built will run over $2000 most around $2500+ depending on the accessories that come with it.

I say go for it and have fun.

There are a few guys on this site that have built them and may be willing to help you.

Ron[/QUOTE]

Imperial Marine Stormtrooper
    I have built a lot of them. I was thinking about doing it for a living until the parts kits ran out.

you need to get in touch with KMP Karma Metal Products for the semi auto trigger and sear, and they used to make an 80% sideplate that was mostly machined and could be finished with a drill, and a dremel tool. They also made 100% sideplates too.
    http://www.karmametalproducts.com/KMP/KMP_1919.htm

Iron creations does semi auto internal mods
    http://shop.ironcreationsllc.com/cat...?categoryId=92

Israeli 308 parts kits seem to start at 1000 - usgi parts kits in 30 06 about double
    I might sell some of my stash if you cant find anything worth your time. haven't looked in a long time.

I can tell you they are a lot of fun to shoot and it will most likely get you interested in more belt fed stuff later on - maybe even into a full auto.
    I say go for it, it will never be cheaper than right now
    MFA King of Deleted Photos! I CANT SEE stuff

Imperial Marine Stormtrooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post

What is better belts or links?
    better is relative

Cloth belts are BETTER because they are original and are easy to pick up afterwards and are easier on the trunnion.
    links are BETTER because they are easy to load without an expensive loader, can be loaded as long or as short as you like and are far easier to get started with.

belts require a loader - links can be loaded by hand, but a plate style linker is much easier.

If you decide to roll with belts, buy ONLY usgi belts - the 100 round belts that ima sold years ago can be a royal pain to load.
    if you decide to roll with links, buy ONLY Israeli 308 links - they are able to be used for MANY (actually almost ALL) different calibers including 30 06 where 06 can only be used for 06, 8mm, and 22
    MFA King of Deleted Photos! I CANT SEE stuff

My 1919 was my first build. Pretty easy to do with not much knowledge. I am anal as far as looks and am happy with how it came out. The only thing I can't figure out is why my feed tray is too short with '06.
    Czar of all the Michigans
    In memory of Johnhttp://act.alz.org/goto/Weasel

Are links marked?

QUOTE=Perro Del Diablo;335515]better is relative

Cloth belts are BETTER because they are original and are easy to pick up afterwards and are easier on the trunnion.
    links are BETTER because they are easy to load without an expensive loader, can be loaded as long or as short as you like and are far easier to get started with.

belts require a loader - links can be loaded by hand, but a plate style linker is much easier.

If you decide to roll with belts, buy ONLY usgi belts - the 100 round belts that ima sold years ago can be a royal pain to load.
    if you decide to roll with links, buy ONLY Israeli 308 links - they are able to be used for MANY (actually almost ALL) different calibers including 30 06 where 06 can only be used for 06, 8mm, and 22[/QUOTE]

Yes they are. That being said, there are a lot of markings. As Mike said the israeli are the best but have some different markings per manufactor. They will be sold as Israeli and not GI. I looked at a handful of mine and most were marked SMI and the year. I run links in mine and have a trunion protector to keep them from marring it up.
    Last edited by 7.62guy; 02-17-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    For those who fought for it, freedom holds a flavor the protected will never know. Those who hammer their guns into plows-will plow for those who do not. Thomas Jefferson

Build it.
    BATTLEMENT ARMS
    www.battlementarms.com

looks like everyone has you covered..

KMP parts are the way to go for the semi stuff. get an extra trigger bar.

sideplates can be finished from a pile of different makers.... KMP & 30calmachinegunner are the most popular .. but there are over a dozen different pro makers out there now days.

a good build will run links or belts & which caliber you choose to do or a multi cal set up is all up to you. 54R builds are fun & cheap, x39 conversions are too... (troy at barrelxchange is the guy for the conversion parts for this)... but most of us have run the whole gamut of calibers in these. 8mm, 06, 308, 54R, x39 & yeah some people like 22...

these kits kinda cycle in when they are available. my last IMI kit went for $1K in 308. but when we first started buying them we were getting them for $299.

the extras will eat you alive. guys like BadgerBob can make you a perfect matching repro tripod for around $200 & then you can get ahold of OhioBlackSheep & get a nice crank fire for it for about $300 more.

then you need a plate loader for links, a push loader or crank loader for belts.. a nice can adapter/mount for feed/catch/empty.. the list goes on & on.. in the end the gun will be the cheapest part of the entire operation.

heres a pic of mine in the original set up..

1919a4w.adptcrank.jpg

& then in the fancier set up..

1919sdk.JPG

both of these are on BadgerBob's tripod with the OhioBlackSheep Crankfire & both mounts are by Recon Ritchie..

if ya got any questions throw it out there.
    say what you mean & mean what you say!
    TEC Tactical=SOT/07 i work there.