Thread: Thompson SMG in German service Russian front

Thompson SMG in German service Russian front

Interesting photo of a German soldier armed with a Thompson in Russia 1942. Note the Lead Lease British Churchill Tank in the background. Looks like a older M 1928 I wonder If the Thompson came from the Churchill's Crew
    45 ACP ammo would have been hard to come by in Russia 1942. Was the Thompson like the Luger pistol.
    The Trophy of Trophies
    Churchill II_in_Russian_service (1).jpg
    The Soviets had them via lend lease
    Propaganda photos
    Naval Infantry
    Soviet Thompson.jpg
    Tankers with US Stuart Tanks, Note Brownings and Made in USA Tanker helmets
    ( similar to 1930's Football helmets)
    Russian Thompson.jpg
    Last edited by Norton; 02-21-2015 at 11:39 PM.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union

Few more photos

This subject fascinates me to no end. With over 1.5 PPSh 41 produced in 1942 alone and factories making up to 3000 per day. A supply of M 1928 Thompsons for the Red Army's armor corps would be the last thing they needed. To me it would be like the USA looking at the STEN and saying we can help you with that. Then supplying British Commonwealth troops with M 3 Grease-guns in 1945. Yet we did it with the Soviets and apparently they reached the battlefields in numbers and were used. My understanding is , if a US lend Lease tank was shipped and the tank had a Tommy-gun as part of it's U.S. armored Division TO&E then the Thompson went with the tank. Some tanks such as the Lee had two Thompson We sent about 12,000 armored vehicles of all types 7000 of these being Stuart, Lee and Sherman. Plus White Scout cars and many of these would come with a M 1928 Thompson. The numbers start to add up They started sending this stuff to the USSR in the summer of 1941 (before Pearl Harbor) when our Army and Marine Corps were still starved for weapons. Anyway I thought sending them Thompson was like sending sand to the Saudis or Ice to the Eskimos. They should have sent us PPsh 41 and T-34 and we send them things they didn't have and needed, like SPAM and the Jeep.

He looks like he's been through the ringer (Tommy-gun no worse for the wear, note cleaning rod)
    Soviet Thompson 3.jpg
    Naval Infantry in Crimea (Propaganda shot for U.S.A consumption?)
    Soviet Thompson.jpg
    German troop in USSR with M1928 Thompson ( hows he get Ammo? ?)
    GermanGuard-ThompsonSMG.jpg
    Last edited by Norton; 02-28-2015 at 02:02 PM.
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union