Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my 1st ar15 colt sp1?

my 1st ar15 colt sp1?

I got a call from my boss he told me about a colt ar15 for sale I went and checked it out and put some cash down on it I will be picking it up tomorrow I am far from knowing much about ar15 with all the guns I have owned I never had one of those had a ar10 for a short while well this is all I can tell you from my poor memory it is a colt with the triangle front hand guard and there is no forward assist on a 1 to 10 scale I would give it a 9 I got it for 700.00 it has the bird cage flash hider and a tag on it said 1968 to 1971 the woman's husband died and she wanted to get rid of it along with some other guns it came with no magazine . wish I could post pictures here will post over on gun boards any info from the very limited info that I gave you would be great the bore looks chromed. thanks neil said sp1 on it.

Congrats Neil, sounds like you got a very good deal on a preban Colt Sporter. Look forward to seeing some pictures on it when you get it home.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

Quote Originally Posted by oramoc View Post
    I got a call from my boss he told me about a colt ar15 for sale I went and checked it out and put some cash down on it I will be picking it up tomorrow I am far from knowing much about ar15 with all the guns I have owned I never had one of those had a ar10 for a short while well this is all I can tell you from my poor memory it is a colt with the triangle front hand guard and there is no forward assist on a 1 to 10 scale I would give it a 9 I got it for 700.00 it has the bird cage flash hider and a tag on it said 1968 to 1971 the woman's husband died and she wanted to get rid of it along with some other guns it came with no magazine . wish I could post pictures here will post over on gun boards any info from the very limited info that I gave you would be great the bore looks chromed. thanks neil said sp1 on it.
    That sounds like a great deal. Looking for the pictures.
    ron
    31B

thanks guys from my online search by using the ser. # it is a1971 colt sp1 R6000 if I were just a few years older I would have been drafted and carried something that would have looked much like that . now I would like to find a magazine that would have been sold with the gun at that time I wonder what one of those would be marked like anyone have one that can post a picture ? neil

Senior Veteran
    Congratulations!!!

Tony

well I picked up the rifle and had a friend that works in a gun shop look it over he took it all apart he has a large ar15 collection him self and has a few colt sp1s he said it was fine nothing wrong with it and thought it would be worth right now in a very ar flooded market worth about 1200.00 he said it had been shot but not much. so for 700.00 not a bad deal right after I got I had someone ask if I wanted to sell always a good sighn the wife of the man that passed away took all his ammo and all his magazines to all his firearms and dropped them off at the police station that's why I didn't get the mag for it. makes me wonder what else the man had. i'll post pictures later. neil

That's a great deal oramoc!

Oh my! I'll bet the police department was thrilled at the 'donation'!!
    COG # 1066

I forgot to post this for you the other day.
    Your mag would have been (2) 20 round mag issued with it.

The 30 round mag you would have to buy it separate.

This is what the floor plat would have looked like.
    Last edited by Planning; 03-08-2015 at 02:27 PM.
    31B

planning thanks for the photo of the magazine if you would like to see the rifle I posted pictures of it on gunboards under 1971 colt sp1 I would have posted here but my computer won't let me. thanks . neil

I went and looked and you got a really nice rifle. The price you paid is just a bonus..

Ron

Neil, I went and got your pictures for you.
    Last edited by Planning; 03-09-2015 at 07:40 AM.
    31B